Summarizing Fiction & Nonfiction - Reading Comprehension Strategies Unit
Students will learn to summarize with 13 retell activities, anchor charts, graphic organizers and reading assessments. Summarizing nonfiction text is included as well as narrative story retelling.
This is set up as two reading strategies mini-units - one for summarizing fiction and one for nonfiction summary writing. You could easily move seamlessly from one to the next, or divide up and teach them at separate times.
Included in this package:
* Suggested teaching ideas with all necessary materials.
* Two graphic organizers for students to use while learning this reading strategy with fiction.
* Graphic organizer for use with non-fiction.
* Two double-sided bookmark options.
* A summarizing rubric that you could use to assess learning.
* 3 Learning Goal and Success Criteria posters for your class (fiction, non-fiction, general).
* Book list of titles that are recommended for teaching and practising summarizing.
* Extra BLMs that could be used for literacy centres or other practice work.
* Diagnostic/summative assessment sheet to use with any reading text - easily differentiated
* Student reflection/goal setting sheet to use with assessments
* Two different reading logs
* Reading goals tracking sheet
* Booktalk checklist
This is a zip file containing all PDF documents so everyone should be able to easily access all material.
Also available are:
Questioning Reading Strategy Package
Inferring Reading Strategy Package