Summarize. Summary. This two day lesson plan includes 6 task cards, a 12 slide PowerPoint, a foldable for interactive notebooks, plot diagram graphic organizers, detailed daily plans for over two days of instruction, assessment plans, and so much more. Ready to print and go!
• Summary Airplane Foldable directions
• What is a Good Summary PowerPoint
• Question Stems for Writing to Learn
• Question Stems for Student Talk
• PowerPoint Outline Handout
• Small Student Plot Diagrams
• Small Student Plot Diagrams with BME
• Large Student Plot Diagram with BME
• Good/Bad Summary Task Cards
- What makes a good summary?
- Elements of fiction.
- The elements of literary texts.
- Vocabulary: beginning, conflict, details, ending, main events, middle, plot, problem, solution, summary
- Identify the plot’s main events.
- Sequence the plot’s main events.
- Identify the main conflict/problem and solution in a plot.
- Determine unnecessary details
Six Task Cards
The six task cards are analysis level thinking. This higher-level thinking requires students to understand and apply the concepts related to summarizing. A plot diagram is given and students must determine what is wrong with the summary that goes with the plot diagram.
The PowerPoint includes graphics and visual aids to help with student memory and engagement. This outline can be used to prepare for the lesson, to pre-teach with a small group, or to give as a handout for students who need help with note-taking.
Other Great Reading Resources:
Summarizing Task Cards
Summarizing Lesson Bundle
Summarizing Mini-Lesson #1 (PowerPoint, Quiz, and Handouts)
Summarizing Mini-Lesson #2 (PowerPoint, Quiz, and Handouts)
Cause and Effect Task Cards
Main Ideas and Details Lesson Bundle
Making Inferences Task Cards