Teaching students how to summarize
can be a daunting task. Often, it’s one of the hardest reading strategies for students to grasp. That’s where this mini-unit comes in.
This summarizing unit is also included in this Reading Comprehension Skills - 3 Mini-Units Bundle
which includes Compare & Contrast, Summarizing, and Point of View mini-units.
This 3-day summarizing
mini-unit encourages modeling, hands-on activities, and lots of summarizing practice. Through creative activities like a 6-word summary, 60-second fairy tale sketches, and sum it up illustrations students become actively involved in their learning. Students learn how to take larger selections of text and reduce them to their key ideas through direct instruction and ample opportunities to practice the skill of summarizing with 6 original passages. This mini-unit not only engages students in their learning, but also helps them truly develop this critical reading comprehension skill.
This detailed Summarizing
• 3 Detailed Daily Lesson Plans
• Movie Summary in 24 - 12 - 6 Words
• 60-Second Fairy Tale Topics
• 60-Second Fairy Tale Planning Page
• Fairy Tale Character Name Tags
• Sum it Up - Illustration Activity
• Guided Notes on Summarizing
• 3 Short Practice Passages
• Characteristics of a Good Summary Web
• Writing a Summary - Eliminating the Unnecessary Activity
• Reading Passage with Multiple-Choice and Short Answer Questions
• Fiction Passage
• Summarizing Star Graphic Organizer
• Summarize with a Title Worksheet
• All Keys for student work and instruction
This unit is included in BUNDLES
. You can check them out here:
--- Reading Comprehension Skills - 3 Mini-Units Bundle
- Compare & Contrast, Summarizing, and Point of View
--- Reading Comprehension Skills - ULTIMATE BUNDLE - 12 Mini-Units!
You may also like…
Poetry Analysis Unit
"Casey at the Bat" Unit
Writing Unit BUNDLE!
- Persuasive, Descriptive and Myth Writing Units
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the red “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction