Summarizing is a crucial reading strategy for both enjoyment and comprehension. This collection of materials is designed to give you a set of resources to use in your classroom planning and teaching. This is set up as two mini-units - one for fiction and one for non-fiction. You could easily move seamlessly from one to the next, or divide up and teach them at separate times.
Included in this package:
* Suggested teaching ideas with all necessary materials.
* Two graphic organizers for students to use while learning this reading strategy with fiction.
* Graphic organizer for use with non-fiction.
* Two double-sided bookmark options.
* A rubric that you could use to assess learning.
* 3 Learning Goal and Success Criteria posters for your class (fiction, non-fiction, general).
* Book list of titles that are recommended for teaching and practising summarizing.
* Extra BLMs that could be used for literacy centres or other practice work.
* Diagnostic/summative assessment sheet to use with any reading text - easily differentiated
* Student reflection/goal setting sheet to use with assessments
* Two different reading logs
* Reading goals tracking sheet
* Booktalk checklist
This is a zip file containing all PDF documents so everyone should be able to easily access all material.
Also available are:
Questioning Reading Strategy Package
Inferring Reading Strategy Package
Synthesizing Reading Strategy Package