Summarizing stories in writing is a difficult skill for many students, especially in the primary grades. My first graders are required to independently retell fiction stories in their own words, including key details, as part of state assessments. I used these resources in my classroom to help my students master this skill. By combining visual icons and and words with graphic organizers, my students learned construct written responses to text that included important story elements.
These resources were designed for first grade, but could be used in kindergarten or second grade, or for remediation in higher grade levels.
Download the preview to see everything this pack includes.
Note: The story element anchor charts use imagery from The Three Little Pigs because it is a familiar story to most students and their background knowledge makes the anchor charts more meaningful. For beginning, middle, and end, I used a simple apple pie theme to show the sequence of a story.
• Note to Teacher
• Story Element Posters (Characters, Setting, Problem, Events, Solution, Lesson/Message)
• Beginning, Middle, End anchor chart with anchor pictures (2 versions, with/without story elements)
• Beginning, Middle, End anchor charts: One for each part of the story with a sentence describing which story elements typically take place in each part.
• Summarize strategy anchor chart
• I can statement
• Essential question
• BME “tags” to attach to anchor charts
• 3 BME recording sheets (offered with and without lines)
• 1 problem/solution recording sheet (offered with and without lines)
Follow me for updates on new products, freebies, and discounts! Click the green star under my picture & "Made by Miss First Grade" near the top of the page. For paid products, don't forget to leave feedback for TPT credits!