Here is a collection of (26) summarizing strategies in one PowerPoint file. The first slide is a hyper-linked index to each strategy. They are ideal for summarizing or responding to informational texts. Use them as formal or informal assessments after short non-fiction texts or after portions of longer texts.
- Use with teacher-read or student-read texts
- Model a strategy and have the whole class use that strategy
- Use a random method (popsicle sticks with names, electronic word randomizer) and have some students share their work
- Present and discuss some student work with a document camera
- Use as part of a notebook or portfolio, or collect and assess as you go
Students like variety and choice: After several strategies have been used, allow students to select a strategy.