Also included in
- Save money with this discounted set of Reading Strategy Task Card Sets for grades 2-5. Each set includes 24 cards, student recording sheet, and a colorful poster. Please see below for digital options included:Sets included: Author's Purpose - with TpT Digital ActivitySummarize It! - with Google Slid$7.96$9.96Save $2.00
- Huge discounted bundle of 22 sets of Reading Strategy Task Cards! Each card features a short, curriculum-based and/or high-interest passage, along with a text-dependent question or prompt. Challenge cards are also included to extend the learning, as well as student response sheets, and answer keys.$57.48$77.48Save $20.00
- These 8 sets of task cards have been classroom-tested by tens of thousands of teachers. Each card features a short, curriculum-based and/or high-interest passage, along with a text-dependent question or prompt. Challenge cards are also included to extend the learning. There are also answer keys. In$24.86$30.86Save $6.00
- This huge bundle of task cards includes reading skills and strategies, figurative language, vocabulary, sentence building and punctuation, parts of speech, affixes and roots, writing prompts, and plenty of overall ELA test prep and review. There are 107 products in this bundle, but you will get clos$272.93$372.93Save $100.00
Each of these 24 Task Cards (and Google slides) features a short, nonfiction paragraph. Students are challenged to summarize the paragraph in just twelve words or less. By presenting only one paragraph at a time, the often overwhelming task of summarizing becomes much more manageable. In addition, the word count limit will keep students from simply rewriting the entire paragraph. You may want to remind students that they must answer with a complete sentence (the challenge was issued as a word count instead as limiting to one sentence to avoid long, run-on sentences as answers). An answer sheet is included as well as a sample answer key.
Google Slides added July 2020 - Please see Preview for more images and details.
Because summarizing is such a difficult skill, I have included a SUM card and poster that can be used as a summarizing reminder. In addition, blackline versions of the cards are also included for printing on colored paper.
Contents of this set include:
- Directions and Suggestions
- 24 Task Cards Color
- 24 Task Cards Black Line
- 24 Google Slides with Text Boxes
- Challenge Card and Cover Card
- Student Answer Sheets
- Answer Key
What teachers have said about this resource:
♥ Student after reading the directions on the card, "What?! Only 12 words?! How can I do that?!" A comment from the same student after completing card, "Wow! This makes you really think about what's most important! You really have to use your brain!" Translation? Success! -Madeline Herrera.
♥ After reading your free download 'Task Card Handbook', I was motivated to start using task cards. Now my students prefer using the task cards to practicing skills on work sheets. These non-fiction stories are perfect for getting at the main idea. Using only 12 words was difficult at first but then the students got into it. Tried moving the students from one seat to another and then posted the cards on the wall for them to finish by the end of the week. Great resource, great activities! -Lenore S.
♥ I used this for my lesson I planned and taught for my TPA and it went with flying colors. I did a whole unit on theme of stories, short and long. Thanks! -Janet A.
Common Core Standards addressed in this set:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.2 and RI.5.2 Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text. CCSS.ELA-Literacy
RI.6.2 Determine a central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
About the Author
These passages were written by me, Rachel Lynette. I am a published author of over 120 nonfiction books for children on a variety of subjects, as well as several teacher resource books. I have written for publishers such as Harcourt, Thompson-Gale, Rosen, Children’s Press, Evan-Moor, Kagan, and several others. These passages reflect more than a decade of professional writing experience.
This product is happily brought to you by Rachel Lynette and Cassi Noack of Minds in Bloom