This three-minute video tutorial teaches fourth graders to summarize and find a theme. Students learn to include character, situation, problem, reaction, and outcome in their summaries. Using the character’s reaction and the outcome, they determine a theme. Sixteen pages of support materials provide everything you’ll need to teach, reinforce, and assess this standard.
• Posters/handouts with steps for summarizing and finding theme
• One-page text of “The Dog and His Reflection” (a fable from Aesop)
• Response sheet with guiding checklist that corresponds to the video
• One-page text of “The Goose and the Golden Eggs”
• Response sheet with guiding checklist for “the Goose and the Golden Eggs”
• Generic response sheets with guiding checklists
• Student quick check sheet with summary checklist
• Student quick check sheet with summarizing and finding a theme checklist
• Rubric for summarizing (with and without CCSS listed at top)
• Rubric for summarizing and finding a theme (with and without CCSS listed at top)
Created by master teacher Brenda Kovich
, these activities are classroom-tested and kid-approved.
If you’re looking for a complete set of reading materials, check out Fourth Grade Literature Skills Bundle
, which addresses all fourth grade literature standards.
Additional Three-Minute Tutorial Videos:
• Answering Questions
Click the Follow Me button to be notified as more videos become available.
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT