Are you introducing or reviewing narrative summary writing? Are your students struggling to summarize the stories they read? Do you need a reliable way to reinforce summary components with your students? If so, this product is for you!
Summary-writing can be challenging, but this product has been developed to make your teaching experience easier! The product begins with guided (scaffolded) notes to review the key features of any narrative summary. The notes break down summary components into four key parts that can be applied to literally any narrative text.
Then, the product includes a graphic organizer and a summary-writing sheet. These will first align with the practice text, but can be used with any narrative text for repeated and effective practice!
After completing the guided notes, students will read the included practice text (a retelling of King Midas and the Golden Touch). Students will use the graphic organizer to plan their summary, and then will attempt a summary on their own.
Last, a model summary has been included. Student can evaluate their own work against the model, and can analyze how the model displays the four key summary components listed in the notes.
I've used this method of instruction for years, and have had great success with it! I hope this product makes this often-challenging skill easier for you and your students!
This product includes:
- Suggested directions for use
- 1-sided guided/scaffolded note sheet
- Key for guided/scaffolded note sheet
- 1-sided summary component graphic organizer
- 1-sided summary writing page (which I usually print on the back of the graphic organizer)
- 2-page text (King Midas and the Golden Touch)
- model summary of King Midas and the Golden Touch
- Ink-saver (border free) versions of all included pages