Summer packet for 4th grade students ENTERING 5th grade!
BUT... don't let the cover page throw you off!!
This is an excellent collection of 4th grade passages with complex questions aligned with the 4th Grade Common Core.
****Good for ALL YEAR!!!
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Students will get acquainted with taking complex-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
Summer Packet Includes 10 excerpts/questions:
Fiction – An excerpt from Number the Stars
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding text, conflicts and challenges within the story.
Poem – The Tree
- Key Elements: Poetic elements, close read of a poem, stanzas, meaning, rhyme scheme
Fiction – An excerpt from Toliver’s Secret
- Key Elements: Close read, personality and character, definitions, examples and support from the text, setting
Fiction – An excerpt from The One and Only Ivan
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, figurative language, synonyms, characterization.
Nonfiction – Cloud Formations
- Extension Activity: Cloud Journal
- Key Elements: Close read, understanding text, synonyms, understanding diagrams, compare/contrast
Nonfiction – Sandcastles
- Extension Activity – Build Your Own Sandcastle
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, terms, feelings/emotions, summary
Nonfiction – Penguins
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, compare/contrast, characterize, author’s purpose
Nonfiction – The Pony Express
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, synonym, understanding illustrations/maps
Nonfiction – Garfield
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, characterizing, main idea/support, organization
Poem – Rain in Summer
- Key Elements: Close read of poetic elements, stanzas, figurative language, prose summary, images
Common Core Standards and Lexile levels included on Answer Key.
*Note: If you are purchasing packets for 4th and 5th grade they are VERY similar. Because Common Core groups 4/5 together, I have created my packets accordingly. Please email me with any questions before you purchase the same packet in these two grades.
*I truly value your feedback*
Any questions or concerns; firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format. This packet, and all packets, excerpts and products of Novel Nutritious Creations, may be not placed on websites either personal or corporate. This is in violation of copyright.