Beach and summer fun! Here are 6 summer themed activities that do double duty as small group centers OR as a whole class activities and can be differentiated to meet the needs of your students.
These activities go beyond simple center activities to meet the more rigorous standards of the Common Core. Students APPLY skills they have learned in a variety of ways.
✲Language arts activities:
- Making Words: How many smaller words can you make from the letters in the word “summertime?” Includes letter cards and something extra – clue cards to help students make words while reviewing grammar skills
- Fix- It: An editing activity focusing on a variety of skills, including homophones, spelling, punctuation and capitalization (12 different sentences)
Apostrophe Scoot: Do I need an apostrophe? Students read the sentences cards and decide when to use an apostrophe (and when not) with contractions, possessive nouns and plural nouns (24 cards plus "Take a break")
- Flip-Flop Facts: A spinner game to practice adding 3 or more numbers together
- Beach Ball Buddies: Practice 2 or 3-digit addition and/or subtraction with and without regrouping
- Summertime Shopping: Adding coins and solving word problems with money
Thanks for stopping by! ~ Lisa, Elementary Stories
Take a look at some of my other spring and summer activities:
☀️ Beach Writing Activities ~ Sand, Sea and Sky
☀️ Camping Math Center Activities
☀️ End of Year and Summer Writing
☀️ Frogs, Spiders, Snakes, Bees Nature Bundle
☀️ Ocean Nonfiction Reading
☀️ Sharks Nonfiction Readers Theater
☀️ Summer Inferencing ~ Fun in the Sun!