It’s the end of the school year, so your end-of-year activities need to be on-point to keep kids engaged! These summer STEM / STEAM Challenges bring the joy back to your classroom with collaborative, hands-on, brain-busting work (disguised as fun)!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build summer-themed objects. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
There are five STEM design challenge events included in this bundle:
Summer: Keep it Cool – Make it Melt
Summer: Drippin’ Dash
Summer: Amphibious Phone
Summer: Wicked-Fast Water Slide
Summer: Pick & Pack
This bundle saves you 40% off the cost of buying each challenge separately. What a bargain! ☺
you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs (videos will post between April 20 – May 5)
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
• Student Handouts
- Criteria and Constraints list (color and B&W; editable)
- Results and Design Analysis (color and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W)
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus, other design-specific handouts (see each individual challenge resource description page for more details)
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking on the individual challenges listed at the top of this page. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Note: All challenges in this resource were updated in April 2017, so be sure to re-download if you own already it!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
“So excited to try - there was much more here than I initially realized so a great value!”
“We didn't get to all the challenges but my students were highly engaged and really enjoyed them!”
“My students loved these. We used them the last 2 weeks of school. It was a great and fun way to incorporate learning while having fun.”
“What a great unit. I am using this with my summer school group and they are excited about each day. It makes being in school over the summer a little easier for both them and me.”
“Love the options for the different grade levels.”
“Used these all summer. Kept my class interested and engaged in science all summer.”
“I can't wait for summer school! Thank you”
“This was a great purchase! My students loved these activities. I used them in my summer program and I really think it helped them with their math skills. Thank you”
"Wow! What a resource. You made it so easy to differentiate and my kiddos at all levels enjoyed the activities. Thank you for all of your hard work and attention to detail."
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
You might also like these resources:
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
Getting Started with STEM Challenges FREEBIE
Back-to-School STEM Challenge Bundle
Card Towers STEM Challenge
Build a Boat STEM Challenge
New Earth City STEM Challenge
Photosynthesis: Hands-on Modeling Activity
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
Speak, Listen & Draw Task Cards