These summer STEM challenges are the perfect end of the year activities to keep your students engaged through the very last day of school!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build summer-themed objects.
Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
This bundle includes five challenges at a great discount!
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge: Drippin' Dash PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge: Keep it Cool - Make it Melt PAPERLESS
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge: Pick and Pack PAPERLESS
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge: Amphibious Phone PAPERLESS
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge: Wicked-Fast Water Slide PAPERLESS
Note: This is the digital/paperless version. If you are prefer to print, you will want to check out the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above or by clicking through on its page in the downloadable preview.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the design analysis slides
• Student Slides
- Criteria and Constraints list
- Results and Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extensions
- Plus, other design-specific slides
- Links to applicable websites/videos (varies by challenge)
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking anywhere on the individual challenge pages. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
Note: Comments taken from the print version
“So excited to try - there was much more here than I initially realized so a great value!”
“We didn't get to all the challenges but my students were highly engaged and really enjoyed them!”
“My students loved these. We used them the last 2 weeks of school. It was a great and fun way to incorporate learning while having fun.”
“What a great unit. I am using this with my summer school group and they are excited about each day. It makes being in school over the summer a little easier for both them and me.”
“Love the options for the different grade levels.”
“Used these all summer. Kept my class interested and engaged in science all summer.”
“I can't wait for summer school! Thank you”
“This was a great purchase! My students loved these activities. I used them in my summer program and I really think it helped them with their math skills. Thank you”
"Wow! What a resource. You made it so easy to differentiate and my kiddos at all levels enjoyed the activities. Thank you for all of your hard work and attention to detail."
You might also like these resources:
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge Bundle: 1:1 PAPERLESS Version
⭐ Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge Bundle Paperless Version
⭐ Halloween STEM Challenges: 5-in-1 Bundle_Paperless 1:1 Version
⭐ Plants STEM Challenge: PAPERLESS Version
⭐ Thanksgiving STEM Challenges: 5-in-1 Digital-Paperless Bundle
⭐ Winter STEM Challenge Bundle 1:1 Paperless Version
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!