Also included in
- These summer STEM challenges are the perfect end of the year activities to keep your students engaged through the very last day of school!The basic premise: Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build summer-themed objects. Modification suggestio$9.98$19.90Save $9.92
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. (Note: Two of the 52 challenges are includ$99.00$197.81Save $98.81
- This summer STEM challenge is the perfect end of year activity to keep your students engaged through the very last day of school!The basic premise:Individually or in partners, students will select items to pack for a road trip. In this 2-D simulation of a 3-D task, students arrange items with differ$5.98$7.96Save $1.98
This summer STEM challenge is the perfect end of the year activity to keep your students engaged through the very last day of school!
The basic premise:
Individually or in partners, students will select items to pack for a road trip. In this 2-D simulation of a 3-D task, students arrange items with different point values into pre-defined car trunk spaces. They can’t have it all, though! They’ll use a criteria & constraints list to bring all of what they need and some of what they want, as they aim for the highest point value.
Modifications included for grades 2-8.
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides™ in 1:1/paperless classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you'll want to look at the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
This is one of five Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenges. They can be purchased in a bundle at a 40% discount:
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge “How-to”/PD videos
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Slides Post-design extension activities list
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Car trunk designs (4 options; Print version is included in addition to Google Slides™)
- Road trip packing items (2 pages- in color and B&W; point-values are editable; Print version is included in addition to Google Slides™)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Process Flow Map
- Create Math Problems Based on Designs
- Twelve Design-Related Math Problems (three leveled sets)
- Road Trip Research & Planning (good for grades 5-8)
CLICK THE GREEN PREVIEW BUTTON UNDER THE COVER & THUMBNAILS TO SEE THE SLIDES INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. NOTE: You can have students design either with the print version, or use the fully digital version in Google Slides™)
– Car trunk handouts (4 options included)
– Road trip item cut-out handouts (included)
– Design analysis handouts (included)
• Envelopes or Ziploc® bags (to hold cut-out items when not in use)
• Tape or glue
• Cameras / cell phone cameras (to quickly capture different pack designs)
• Extension activity handouts (task cards, road trip planning, etc. – included)
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60-90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
Note: Comments taken from the print version.
“We used this as a partner activity on the last week. Thanks for helping me keep them thinking critically up to the end!”
“Great resource to keep kids engaged in those final weeks of school!”
“My students had a blast with this during our final week of school! We had completed several STEM-based challenges in the past but this was a perfect way to keep them busy while also forming a connection with a real-world application.”
“My kids are now excited about ‘summer school.’”
"I LOVE all of your stuff! Everything is well thought out, engaging and provides valuable experiences for my GT students. Thank you!"
You might also like these resources:
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge Bundle: 1:1 PAPERLESS Version
⭐ Create-ure STEM Challenge: PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Plants STEM Challenge: PAPERLESS Version
⭐ Landforms STEM Challenge PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Winter STEM Challenge Bundle 1:1 Paperless Version
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge Bundle Paperless Version
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!