A great selection of 6 black and white NO PREP differentiated word puzzles with picture clues with a summer theme. Fun for a summer project or end of year activities. Good for EFL / ESL too. Includes word search, alphabet crossword, word path, linkword code, word scramble and missing letters. All puzzles are provided in two versions to allow differentiation in the classroom plus a vocabulary handout for reference. Answer keys are included. Easy to use – just print and go. Handy for fast finishers or substitute lessons.
This puzzle set uses 40 summer words. If you feel that these puzzles might be too hard for your class, you might prefer Summer Puzzles (simpler version) which uses 20 words. The two sets can also be bought together as a Summer Puzzle Bundle at a saving of 20%.
The 40 words included in these puzzles are: beach, sandcastle, swimsuit, swimming, ocean, crab, umbrella, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, flip flops, picnic, sandwich, burger, hot dog, ice cream, popsicle, watermelon, strawberry, pineapple, lemonade, pool, baseball, bike, kite, t-shirt, shorts, skirt, sun, hot, fan, airplane, suitcase, grass, flower, bee, butterfly, tent, campfire and lightning. Each puzzle uses a selection of the words.
1. Picture word search – the easier version has both word and picture clues, the other just the pictures.
2. Alphabet picture crossword – unlike an ordinary crossword, the clues are not numbered but each picture clue starts with a different letter of the alphabet which is given in the crossword grid. In the easier version the clues are identified by their starting letters, whilst in the other version the clues must be matched to their starting letters.
3. Word path – help Butterfly find the way to the flowers by drawing a line through the letter grid, spelling out the words for the pictures given. The easier version has the first letter of each word shown in bold.
4. Linkword code – this puzzle has pairs of words where the first word ends with the same letter that starts the second one. When all the words have been filled in, the letters from the numbered boxes make a final word at the bottom of the page. The easier version has the first letter of each word already written in.
5. Word scramble, seeing double - 8 word scrambles where the letters are given in picture grids that also include extra letters. Any repeated letters must first be crossed out, and then the remaining letters rearranged to make the summer words. The easier version also gives a picture clue for each word.
6. Missing letters puzzle – the easier one has only the vowels missing, the other has every second letter missing. The words are then matched to the correct picture.
7. Vocabulary handout
Please look at the thumbnails before purchasing to ensure that this resource meets your needs.
I would love to hear about your experience with Summer Puzzles - Harder in the classroom so please fill in the feedback form on your ‘My Purchases’ page – and earn points towards your next purchase too!
More fun puzzles, games and clip art will be uploaded soon to Leebling. To be notified of new resources, please click to follow my store.