Also included in
- This Secondary English Curriculum Essentials Bundle has all the materials you need to teach a full year of high school or middle school English--whether you are a new ELA teacher, or teaching a new ELA class or grade level, or a veteran teacher looking for some engaging, rigorous ELA materials. SavePrice $99.00Original Price $149.58Save $50.58
This summer reading resource provides everything you need to develop a rich, meaningful summer reading program for your high school and advanced middle school students. The package can be used in part or whole with ANY book(s)—or you may have your students choose from the high-interest reading list provided. It also offers a flexible essay assignment that can be utilized as part of their summer assignment or as a back-to-school assessment activity.
Research abounds on the benefits of summer reading for students, helping our young ones to maintain—and even improve—their reading skills, and preventing the inevitable learning loss that happens during those out-of-the-classroom vacation months.
This summer reading program resource includes:
• Detailed summer assignment in which students read two books of their choice (depending on school/district policy), recording important quotes and their reflections on them. The handout includes an example of a quote entry to clarify expectations.
• Graphic organizer that allows students to record their quotes, page numbers and reflections. Their recordings can be used as textual evidence to support their essays.
• A rubric that clearly lays out expectations the assignment and makes grading a breeze
• Flexible essay assignment with 10 prompts that can work with ANY book. As stated, the essay may be used as part of the students’ summer work, or it makes an excellent back-to-school activity to help you assess each student’s reading and writing proficiency level from the start--and whether or not they actually read the book!
• An essay outline graphic organizer to help students organize their ideas and plan their essays
• Essay rubric for grading and setting clear expectations
• A high-interest summer reading list that includes a diverse mix of popular young adult books along with modern classics, both fiction and non-fiction. A summary/teaser is provided for each book to pique student interest and help them make the best selection. Also included are links to web sites to help parents decide what books may be most appropriate for their child.
The last few weeks and months of the school year are hectic enough. Now you can make the end of the year just a bit easier with a fully developed summer reading program that will ensure your students avoid the dreaded summer brain drain and sharpen their skills for next year!
You may also like:
Keywords: summer reading program, summer projects, summer reading lists, essay prompts, end of year activities, back to school, back to school activities, writing assessment, literary response essays, book reports, book projects, ELA summer projects, high school reading lists, recommended reading, graphic organizers, reading skills