Help students enhance and retain their reading skills this summer with this super engaging summer reading project!
In it, students will read a book and complete a creative and engaging file folder reading project
to demonstrate their understanding of the book they read.
In this summer reading project, students will read a book and then create a book report inside a manila folder. Their report will include a plot diagram, character chart, setting profile, theme analysis, personal review and a listing of other books by the same author. For each element of the file folder project students complete guided pre-writes. Then, they write rough drafts for each piece of the project. Finally, after editing and revising their work, students create final copies of each report element and glue them into and onto their folders. The final product is a bold, interactive, and comprehensive book report.
This summer reading project is absolutely turn-key. It has everything so that you can hand over the materials to students and they can easily complete the project independently. There’s detailed resources for teachers, step-by-step instructions for students, and even a grading rubric.
To complete this project students will need to:
• Read a book and complete FIRST DRAFT worksheets on plot, character, setting, theme, personal reflection, other books by the same author, and a cover design.
• Write FINAL COPY worksheets for the plot, character, setting, theme, personal reflection, and other books by the same author.
• Assemble the file folder by cutting up each FINAL COPY worksheet and gluing them into the file folder. In addition, they need to design a front cover.
Common Core Aligned Project:
- RL.1, RL.2, RL.3, RL.6, RL.10
- W.3, W.4, W.5, W.6, W.10
- L.1, L.2, L.3, L.5, L.6
Skills developed in this unit:
- Developing understanding of a variety of genres
- Comprehension and analytic skills
- Plot, setting, character, and theme analysis
- Critical thinking
- Editing and revising written responses to improve content and organization as well as spelling, grammar and punctuation
This detailed project includes:
• Detailed Teacher Overview
• Implementation Guide for Teachers
• File Folder Book Project Grading Rubric
• Detailed Review of the Project (About, Evaluation, Critical Elements, Materials)
• Listing of Steps to Complete the Project
• How-To Guide for Assembling the Project (with pictures)
• First Draft Materials (12 Pages): Plot Events and Diagram, Character Chart, Setting Profile, Theme Analysis, Personal Reflection, and Listing of Other Books by the Same Author
• Tips and Tricks for completing the project
• Final Copy Materials – Sized and ready for students to complete and assemble in their file folders.
You may also like…
Independent Reading Program
Poetry Analysis Unit
Speech Analysis Unit --- Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction