Also included in
- These summer STEM challenges are the perfect end of the year activities to keep your students engaged through the very last day of school!The basic premise: Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build summer-themed objects. Modification suggestio$9.98$19.90Save $9.92
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. (Note: Two of the 52 challenges are includ$99.00$197.81Save $98.81
- This summer STEM challenge is the perfect end of year activity to keep your students engaged through the very last day of school!The basic premise:Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a summer-proof* case for a smart phone. (No actual smart phones will be harmed in this$5.98$7.96Save $1.98
This summer STEM challenge is the perfect end of the year activity to keep your students engaged through the very last day of school!
The basic premise:
Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a summer-proof* case for a smart phone. (No actual smart phones will be harmed in this activity; they’ll create weighted test phones!)
*Summer-proof = waterproof & retrievable when dropped in a body of water
Modifications included for grades 2-8.
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides™ in 1:1/paperless classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you'll want to look at the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
This is one of five Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenges. They can be purchased in a bundle at a 40% discount:
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge “How-to”/PD videos
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Slides Post-design extension activities list
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Smart phone cut-outs
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Process Flow Map
- Create Math Problems Based on Designs
- Classifying Animals Activity Templates
- Under-the-Sea Writing Activity Templates
- Related video & website slides
CLICK THE GREEN PREVIEW BUTTON UNDER THE COVER & THUMBNAILS TO SEE THE SLIDES INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.)
• Bucket/bin filled with water for testing (at least 1 per class needed)
• Weights (4 – 6 oz. per group)
If weights aren’t available, the following objects weigh approximately 4 -6 oz.:
• 112 – 168 paper clips
• 4 – 6 slices of bread
• 44 – 66 pennies
• 24 – 36 nickels
• Plastic Wrap or fold-over sandwich bags (not Ziploc®)
• Scale (If no scale is available, remove weight constraint from challenge.)
• Cardboard scraps
• Envelopes (at least 3 x 5 in)
• Tape (12 in.)
• Yarn (36 – 48 inches)
• Rubber bands (3 – 5)
• Paper towels
• Phone cut-outs (included)
• Design analysis handouts (included)
• Pipe cleaners
• A variety of tape (duct, shipping, scotch, masking)
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60-90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
Note: Comments taken from the print version.
“Summer camp kids loved these. Thank you!”
“Love that this STEM Challenge engages students in real-world problem solving!”
“Great resource for beginning and end of the year FUN!”
“My 2nd-5th grade students had a BLAST with these activities.”
“Love your work! Thanks for a quality product!”
You might also like these resources:
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge Bundle: 1:1 PAPERLESS Version
⭐ Create-ure STEM Challenge: PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Plants STEM Challenge: PAPERLESS Version
⭐ Landforms STEM Challenge PAPERLESS VERSION
⭐ Winter STEM Challenge Bundle 1:1 Paperless Version
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge Bundle Paperless Version
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!