First Day of Summer School Activities
Are you teaching summer school
If so, you know that starting summer school
off on the right foot is essential to a successful summer of learning. That’s where this resource comes in. It’s filled with everything you’ll need to have an engaging and informative first day of summer school. First, students will complete a warm up activity addressing a critical ELA skill (finding word meaning in context). Then, get to know students as they assemble and create mini-books about themselves. The template is super fun and students will love creating them. Next, review classroom policies and procedures in an interactive way with “True/False” flippers. Help students set summer school learning goals with the goal-setting activity and paper chain assembly. Finally, get students writing in response to a creative writing prompt. This serves as a great baseline for their writing skills. With this resource, your first day of summer school will not only be jam-packed with learning, it will also have your students engaged and ready for a summer of instruction!
Included in this Summer School
• Teacher Implementation Guides (5 – Includes purpose, preparation, and activity directions for each)
• Warm-Up Activity – Word Meaning in Context
• Warm-Up Activity - Key
• How to Create a Mini-Book Instructions
• Mini-Book Template (filled with questions and creative prompts)
• Classroom Policies and Procedures – Statements
• Classroom Policies and Procedures – Sample Responses
• True/False Flipper Template
• Summer School Goal Setting and Link Activity
• Writing Prompt Overview
• Writing Prompt Response Pages
About the activities in this Summer School
• This or That Warm Up Activity
– An engaging and educational bell ringer to have at students’ desks to complete as they enter on the first day of summer school
• A Little Bit About Me – Mini-Book
– Students create a mini-book and fill it with answers to prompts that will have them sharing facts, dreams, favorites, and goals…a great way to get to know students
• Class Procedure Survey
– An easy way to review classroom procedures and policies with interactive “True/False” flippers
• Summer School Goals – Classroom Links
– Fun and simple way to help students set summer school goals…and create a classroom display at the same time!
• Writing Prompt
– Creative writing task to help teachers gain a baseline assessment of students’ writing skills while engaging students in writing
Other SUMMER SCHOOL
• Classroom Management - Tips, Tricks, and Tools
• Summer School Curriculum - 6-week, Journey-Themed, Multi-Unit Resource
• 20 Daily Warm Ups -
Engaging and Educational Bell Ringers
• Summer Reading Project - Creating a Newspaper
Back to School Resources:
• Back to School Toolkit
• First Day of School Activities
• Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit Bundle!
Cause and Effect, Context Clues & Sequencing
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction