It’s summer-get ready for the local swim team! I don't know about your community, but where I live the town turns into one huge swim team over the summer! This product includes task cards, each with 4 swim team related math story problems, for a total of 20 problems. I invite you to take a look at the samples available in the preview. I included an assortment of scenarios, which created the need for math students to understand and apply a large amount of engaging, realistic math content in order to solve the problems. The stories also require some background knowledge in competitive swimming, so I encourage you to take a look at the content to be sure you &/or your students are familiar with vocabulary and terms prior to purchasing these task cards. Skills & strategies which are practiced by solving these problems include:
- All 4 operations with up to 3 digit numbers
- Order of operations & the need to use multiple operations to solve one problem (great as CCSS material!)
- Ordering decimals to the hundredths place
- Adding & subtracting decimals to the hundredths place (including “missing addend”)
- Determining what fraction and the equivalent percentage represents part of a total group (if 9 out of 12 swim meets have occurred, what fraction of the season’s swim meets is complete?)
- Percent “increase” (a team had 120 members one year and increased to 150 members the next year)
- Elapsed time
Many of the problems are challenging, and may best be used as guided practice during a lesson instead of independent practice in a center depending on the grade and skill level of your students. All in all, your students will be practicing real life math skills in a familiar context.
Thanks so much for your interest in this product! If these materials look like something that will fit the learning needs of your students, you might want to take a look in my store, which features k-5th grade products in a variety of subject matter.
Please leave feedback if possible. I truly value the comments I receive from my colleagues as I continue to design instructional material.
Summer Swim Team Math Problem Solving Task Cards
by Amy Bratsos
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License