This fun and engaging “end of the school year” review includes:
1) 2 sets of 36 color pictures (approximately ¾ “ X ¾”) of summer-related items:
•1 set of pictures only
•1 set of labeled pictures
The following materials are standard 8 1/2 X 11 sheets using colored ink. They can be used as individual worksheets or printed, mounted on cardstock, laminated, and used in literacy centers. They print well in grayscale.
2) Phonemic awareness practice-students cut out pictures and glue them in the space that contains a picture with a matching medial vowel sound -one space for all the short vowel sounds & one space for all long vowel sounds with the exception of long u. (an explanation is included in the packet)
3) 2 sets of onset/rime (or they could be called “word chunk” and initial sounds) practice-Students cut out individual letters for the initial sound and “word chunks” for the medial and final sound, then glue them in the letter spaces under the summer-related pictures. For example, under a picture of a tent the students glue "t" and "ent". .
• One set for short vowel words
• One set for long vowel words
4) A word sort activity to be used with multiple sets of word families based on the summer-related vocabulary
• 3 short vowel word family sorting mats (8 ½ X 11 page divided into three categories)
• 3 long vowel word family sorting mats
• 18 word lists with between 6-10 words in each list (based on 9 short vowel chunks & 9 long vowel chunks) to be cut and sorted
5) Spelling practice- one page with 15 pictures and handwriting lines underneath to spell 15 of the designated words without visual or auditory support.
6) An “I Have…Who has?” game which includes:
• 26 cards-each card has 3 clues-the vowel sound, the number of syllables, and a rhyming word
7) A “Contents and Comments” section with further explanation for a couple of the packet components.
Depending on the needs and level of your students, you can pick and choose which of these activities is appropriate, or do them in skill acquisition sequence, which would be phonemic awareness (no sound/symbol association) - word sort - cut & glue onset/rime - spell/write the words.
I hope you find these activities useful and fun. Thank you for taking a look at my products! Please leave feedback if you have the time-it is truly appreciated!
Awesome graphics thanks to:
Summer Theme Vowel Sound Phonemic Awareness and Word Work End of Year Activities
by Amy Bratsos
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License