Note: These theme-related quotations are also the focus of my ThemeQuotes trivia game based on this book (see list below).
These well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by great thinkers such as Alex Haley, Henry Ward Beecher, and more are a natural addition to your SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS unit! Use them to introduce the play, or as discussion starters, hangman games, or essay questions (essay suggestions as well as a final project suggestion are included). Or simply hang them around the room or on the bulletin board as inspiration. Fun, interesting, and value-instructive!
Below are my fun and unique products over SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS. View all 15 in my store!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS edition of Bookmarks Plus:—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS Trivia Game ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 237 questions!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 50-word Prereading Crossword Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Summer Of The Monkeys edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Summer Of The Monkeys Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEY: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 11 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes from the Novel! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 4 Book-Based Word Searches! Categories: Non-Huggable Creatures; Onomatopoeia; Daisy’s Playhouse; At the Still
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 5 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Good Trial-and-Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 5 Fractured Maxim Word Puzzles Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names & Minor Characters; Locations; Landmarks; Grandpa; The Trip to Tahlequah; In the Bottoms;
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Challenging! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: Character and Narrative Quotations Crossword Students use their knowledge of the story as well as their spelling and reasoning skills to figure out what word goes in the blank!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: Figurative Language Crossword—Fun and Unique! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language!
• SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!