In this activity, students will practice finding the sums of arithmetic and geometric sequences. This resource can be used as a warm-up for recall from the previous day's lesson or as a closing activity to reinforce the topic. You could have students work in pairs or individually. If your students are like mine, they may want to race, so consider having a prize for the winner!
1. Before beginning the lesson, print off the page of eight dominoes. Copy one page for each student.
2. On each page, cut out the eight dominoes and place them in a plastic baggie. (I recommend using a paper cutter for quicker cutting!)
3. During class time, pass out the baggies of dominoes, one to each student.
4. Students should find the domino labeled “Start”. They will then work the problem on the
5. Once the students have worked the problem, they should look for the answer on the left side of a different domino. After locating the corresponding domino, start a chain with the two dominoes side by side. The students should then work the next problem on the right side of second domino.
6. Repeat Step 5 until the dominoes are ordered correctly. The “End” domino marks the end of the activity.
An answer key is included for easy grading. The answer key reads left to right, like a book, on the uncut sheet of dominoes.
For additional resources for Sequences, check out:
Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences – Guided Notes
Unit Test on Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences
Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences Activity
Sums of Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences - Riddle Worksheet for Series