Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This is a GROWING bundle. This product will be updated each year with current Super Bowl Teams.
The Patriots and Rams have earned the right to take the field against one another in Super Bowl 53. Who has the edge? Only one team can win! What is your ?!
Use this engaging opinion writing lesson using students' interests to motivate! Students form their opinion on which team they feel are more deserving to win the Super Bowl while pulling facts from a provided passage on each team to support their opinions.
Use of Thinking Maps within schools is a beneficial tool for responding to text across genres and grade levels. This is a writing unit, focused on responding to the provided passages on both the New England Patriots and Los Angeles Rams.
Within this document, you will find:
- New England Patriots non-fiction reading passage
- Los Angeles Rams non-fiction reading passage
(Students use the facts taken from these passages to support their writing.)
- Nonfiction passages covering previous football teams. Use these to guide discussion when forming opinions as the results are in! You may also use these passages to support and studied reading comprehension strategy within the genre of non-fiction.
- Inspirational Football Quote Poster by Arnold Glasgow
- Fact vs. Opinion definition and example anchor chart
- "What's Your Vote" class pole response sheet (Tree Map Form); Put this through a poster maker and use as a class consensogram!
- "Consider the Facts" Tree Map recording sheet that allows students to write down facts learned from the non-fiction passage in order to form a fair opinion
- Football Uniform Color wkhst: Students color the football uniform according to whichever team they voted to win!
- Teacher Instructions: "How to Use a Flee Map"
-- Flee Map black line (A Flee Map, derived from Thinking Maps, is a combination of the Tree Map and Flow Map. This map provides students with a tool to organize their writing effectively, putting their ideas in order. This map could be used for any writing genre.)
-- Opinion Writing Outline/Flee Map Poster: Print and laminate to use on any Focus Wall and/or place in a page protector within student writing folders. I even run this through a poster maker to make an instant anchor chart!
- Opinion Writing Standard Poster to be used on any focus wall or bulletin board! (1st grade)
- Opinion Writing Informative Anchor Charts (Opening Sentence, Transition Words, Closing Sentence)
- Opinion Writing Flee Map organizer with prompt
- Planning Outline
- Rough Draft Paper
- Final Copy Paper
- Opinion Writing Rubric
Thank you for downloading! Follow my store for other writing lessons using Thinking Map planning! Remember to leave feedback on how this worked in your classroom!
KG Drops of Jupiter Font
KG Always a Good Time Font
KG SecondChances Chalkboard Font
KG Chasing Cars Font
D'Nealian Style Family Fonts-Fonts4Teachers
Stella Jumbo Papers and Clip Art-Teaching Super Power
Doodle Frames Bunch-Mad Clips Factory
Colorful Corner Frames- Creative Clips Digital Clip Art- Krista Wallden
Football clipart commercial use, vector graphics, digital - CL723 by prettygrafik
Football clipart commercial use, vector graphics, digital - CL722 by prettygrafik
Football (JB Design Clip Art for Commercial and Personal Use) by Natasha Boysal from The Resource Teacher