This is a problem solving assignment covering various middle school math topics. All six problems have current data and are related to Super Bowl LII.
1. How many points will the Eagles need to score to bring their mean scoring average up?
2. Write an equation with one variable to discover the ages of Super Bowl entertainers Justin Timberlake and Pink.
3. Write algebraic expressions and use them to find out which team's kicker scored the most points for their team this season.
4. A challenging question involving percents and the purchase of Super Bowl t-shirts.
5. A Twitter battle between Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen.
6. A question involving the pre-game coin toss and fractions, decimals, and percents.
This assignment should challenge your class for an entire period. Perhaps an activity to do Friday before the big game? Need an activity for a sub? This would be perfect.
I plan to give my students 20 minutes to work independently. Then, I will let them work with a partner to discuss answers and help each other. After 10 minutes, they trade partners. I encourage my students to teach something that their previous partner taught them to their new partner. I think that real learning takes places when a student can explain a concept that they have been taught to a another student!
This is an activity that you and your students will enjoy. It will get them talking about math as they look forward to the big game!
Note: This activity is one piece of a larger group oriented project that is in my seller store.