This zip file contains 5 separate hands-on literature activities that can be used for literacy centers, extension activities, independent practice, or small group activities based on a "Christmas Symbols" theme. THIS PRODUCT IS ALSO AVAILABLE AS PART OF MY CHRISTMAS ACTIVITIES FOR INTERMEDIATE GRADES - BUNDLED PACKAGE
This product contains 8 separate files including 7 pages of student activities, a PowerPoint e-book, and answer keys. These activities can be used as small group activities, follow-up or extension activities for social studies or reading units, or as weekly literacy centers (I have small groups of students complete 1 activity each day so that during 1 week, all students have completed all activities). They fit well with a unit on Christmas symbols, holidays and celebrations, winter holidays, or cultural traditions.
1) A Powerpoint presentation to be used as an e-book and a set of comprehension questions about the e-book. The e-book is an 8 slide nonfiction selection about common symbols of Christmas (wreaths, candles, poinsettias, Christmas trees, ornaments, and bells). Students are to view/read the e-book, then type the answers to 7 questions about the e-book into the included Word document template. The document can then be saved or printed for scoring. Answer key is included.
2) A following directions activity in which students read a 1 page instruction sheet and follow the directions to color pictures of 6 different Christmas symbols. Answer key is included.
3) Bagel Symbols Recipe for Reading Comprehension - a reading passage written similarly to many state testing formats in which students read a selection (in this case a brief paragraph about wreaths and ornaments) and a recipe for a no-cook Christmas symbol themed snack. They then create the snack and answer 4 comprehension questions about the passage. Answer key included. This file is included as both a pdf file and a Word document.
4) Light Up the Syllables - This file contains a worksheet focusing on syllabication. Students are to read the words written on Christmas light cutouts and sort the word by syllable spelling pattern (VCCV, VCV, VCCCV). Answer key is included.
5) Ornament Vocabulary - Students are to use a dictionary to create vocabulary cards using Christmas symbol themed vocabulary words. They use the cards to create an interactive vocabulary Christmas tree.
Passages and directions are written at approximately a 2nd or 3rd grade reading level. Download the document preview for screen shots of all included files.
For more Christmas themed activities, check out the following products:
Legend of the Christmas Spider Unit and Printables
History of the Christmas Tree Reproducible Unit
Christmas Around the World Unit
Reindeer Games Christmas Activities
Christmas Math and Literacy Activities for the Primary Grades
See my Teachers Pay Teachers store
for more seasonal activities, including many more Recipes for Reading Comprehension passages.
by Rebecca Bettis
center activities, weekly themes, thematic unit, Christmas, literacy centers, reading centers, social studies centers, wreaths, Christmas trees, ornaments, holiday symbols, Christmas activities