This zip file contains 6 separate hands-on literature activities that can be used for literacy centers, extension activities, independent practice, or small group activities. The file contains 10 pages of student activities, plus a PowerPoint e-book and answer keys for all activities. All activities (except the PowerPoint activity) are included in both Word and pdf form for your convenience.
1) A Powerpoint presentation to be used as an e-book and a set of comprehension questions about the e-book. The e-book is a 9 slide nonfiction selection about spiders. Students are to view/read the e-book, then type the answers to 8 questions about the e-book into the included Word template document. The document can then be saved or printed for scoriing. Answer key is included.
2) "Spider Climber" - a following directions activity in which students read a 1 page instruction sheet and construct a spider wall climber using common classroom materials. Includes pattern for completing the craft and printable instruction sheet.
3) "Parts of a Spider" Recipe for Reading Comprehension - a reading passage written similarly to many state testing formats in which students read a selection (in this case a diagram of the parts of a spider) and a recipe for a no-cook spider themed snack. They then create the snack and answer 5 comprehension questions about the passage. Answer key included.
4) Spider Syllables - This file contains 2 worksheets focusing on syllabication. They specifically focus on open syllables and -r controlled syllables. One worksheet asks students to cut and paste syllables to make words, and the other requires students to divide words into syllables and identify the syllable type. Answer keys are included.
5) Spider Vocabulary 1 - Students are to use a dictionary to create vocabulary cards using spider themed vocabulary words. They use the cards to create an interactive vocabulary "web".
6) Spider Vocabulary 2 - Students use spider themed vocabulary words to complete a dictionary practice worksheet and cloze activity. This file is included in the free preview offering. Answer key is included.
These activities can be used as small group activities, follow-up or extension activities for science or reading units, or as weekly literacy centers (I have small groups of students complete 1 activity each day so that during 1 week, all students have completed all activities). They fit well with a unit on spiders, insects and arachnids, Halloween, or animal adaptations. by Rebecca Bettis
center activities, weekly themes, thematic unit, spiders, literacy centers, science centers, bugs, insects, arachnids, Halloween centers, Halloween activities