This unit is incredibly fun and does an amazing job getting the students to remember the basics to writing good sentences.This unit has the students do a superhero training (practice a skill a superhero needs) and then it connects that skill to a skill a writer needs to write super sentences. Includes posters, and specific training pages with "trainer" lessons word to word, practice sheets or ideas.
Additions added to unit:
- Mini lessons for writing concepts - some have a few ideas
- Superhero teaches the connection to writing story
- Word wall banner,
- Star rubrics for opinion, informational and narrative (beg, mid, end)
- Badges (print before or after training for fun reminder or keepsake or wear during writer's workshop)
- Superhero Certificates
- Punctuation cards
- Self Grading Sheets
- Table reminder cards
- Practice pages
- Lots of visual aids or other ways to help learners retain
Skills/Lessons for writer:
Handwriting (in the lines)
Capitalization (at the beginning)
Expanding Sentences (mini lessons to come)
1+ Sentences (more than 1) (mini lessons to come)
This unit has everything needed to have a successful experience with the trainings (I had 6th graders use these to do my trainings) so they are very detailed for volunteers.
Your students will start off loving to write and will be thrilled that they get to be superheroes (in training). As the teacher, you will be happy that you are not constantly reminding students to do better writing. Put up visuals.
Check out the writing samples that goes with superhero unit. (letter, card, story ect) https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Superhero-Writing-Samples-998833