Surviving Ecosystems – A Fourth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 4th grade level instructional presentation
This lesson focuses on:
• Animal adaptations
• Plants and their surroundings
• Ecosystem changes
It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork or homework.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction to animal adaptations.
• How specific adaptations help different animals in different ways.
• Behavioral adaptations – camouflage, migration, and hibernation.
• Explanation of mimicry.
• Harmful and helpful interactions.
• Introduction to stimuli and tropisms.
• Charles Darwin tropism research.
• How plants adapt to environmental differences.
• Ecosystem changes (hurricanes, volcanoes, landslides, and droughts)
• How organisms can change ecosystems.
• How people change ecosystems (deforestation, pollution, and overpopulation).
• Results of ecosystem changes (accommodating, moving, and extinction).
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• Activity one has students identifying 12 terms through a matching/cutting activity. Terms include (mimicry, adaptation, migrate, hibernate, stimulus, accommodation, helpful interaction, tropism, deforestation, tropism, endangered, camouflage, and extinct).
• Activity two has four questions that have students identifying specific adaptations and how they help the organism to survive in their environments.