Sustainable Cities is a collaborative and innovative project in which students are asked to brainstorm and design a green city from scratch! In collaborative groups, students choose roles as various city planners to design a "fully functional" sustainable city. This project is incredibly relevant today with climate change being a serious global threat to human societies.
The project utilizes various student abilities and interests ranging from scientific inquiry to creative design. Students are asked to do the following over the course of 1-2 weeks:
1. Brainstorm key vocabulary words
2. Choose city management roles
3. Research sustainable innovations and inventions
3. Communicate with the Director of City Planning (Teacher) closely
4. Create drafts of their 2D city blueprints
5. Carefully monitor their budget throughout the project
6. Build a 3D model of their city (depending on availability of materials)
I implemented a couple readings before launching the project. The readings discussed innovative green city ideas and examples to get them thinking on the right path.
NOTE: This project will require some basic prior knowledge of energy and energy usage.
If you enjoy Sustainable Cities, don't forget to check out our sister design project, Mission To Mars