Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster by Jonathan Auxier is a beautiful story set in the middle of Victorian England. It brings up topics of child labor and anti-Semitism as this historical fantasy weaves aspects of the brutality of life as a chimney sweep with the Jewish mythological creature golems. The story feels like Charles Dickens mixed with a fairy tale.
Sweep is a tale of friendship and grief. Eleven year-old Nan Sparrow works as a chimney climber, a thankless and deadly job. After being stuck in a chimney fire, Nan is saved by a mysterious creature. This creature turns out to be a golem, who she names Charlie. Nan and Charlie take refuge in an abandoned mansion and grow their lives together in this poignant story.
Sweep reminds us that life can be heart-breaking. It reminds us that life is not always pretty, but it's better to confront these realities instead of pretending they don't exist. It shows us that even in the midst of grief and sorrow, there are hope, wonders, and miracles worth living for. We just have to look for them.
"We save ourselves by saving others."
This packet has 43 pages plus an answer key.
- Chapter Reference Guide
- Pre-Reading Questions
- Discussion/Pre-Reading Questions (also works for writing prompts)
- Comprehension Quizzes/Final Quiz (6)
- Final Quiz (2 - multiple choice and character matching)
- Book Review
- Vocabulary Worksheets (7)
- Word Map
- Compare/Contrast chapters of the same title (4)
- Drawing/Imagery Activity (2)
- Story Soup Activity
- Traits graphic organizer (Nan, Charlie)
- Compare and Contrast Characters (2)
- Character Traits Worksheet (Blank)
- Soundtrack Activity (2)
- Chimney Sweepers
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.