This product, by It’s Not Rocket Science,
is a laboratory investigation to help students understand the factors that affect the rate of chemical reactions. Students will investigate three of the factors that affect the rate of chemical reactions: surface area, temperature and concentration using different types of sweet tea. Students will rotate between three stations using sweet tea to test the effects of changing these factors. Class data will be compiled and used to graph, answer analysis questions, and write a conclusion.
How can I use this?
• As an inquiry investigation before teaching about reaction rate
• As a reinforcement after teaching about reaction rate
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
I love applying content like reaction rate to real world situations, such as sweet tea. I also love that any teacher can do this lab, regardless of their classroom. I’ve had years where I haven’t had access to a science laboratory, and this is a hands-on investigation that you could do in any classroom.
What is included?
• 5 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 6 pages of student handouts
• 3 lab station signs
• Answer Key
• Excel spreadsheet for compiling class data and calculating averages
How much class time will this take?
For the average student this takes about two 50-minute classes or one 1.5 hour class. Advanced students will finish more quickly, so it is encouraged to have an additional activity for those who finish 5 or 10 minutes early. Check out my Reactions Taboo Cards
as a great option for fast finishers!
Is this aligned to Next Generation Science Standards?
YES! All of my products are aligned with specific Next Generation Science Standards. Specifically, this product is aligned with HS-PS1-5. Apply scientific principles and evidence to provide an explanation about the effects of changing the temperature or concentration of the reacting particles on the rate at which a reaction occurs.
What if I want to see a sample of how you write up your labs/activities?
Download my Macromolecule Murder Mystery Lab freebie HERE!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add at least one new product every week so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.