Completely rewritten and expanded to 199 pages (80,000 words)!
The result is a detailed guide to the poems in the Faber "Selected Poems" plus six other important Plath poems. The guide was written after a great deal of research and study.
1. Preface and Teacher's Introduction;
2. Background information on Plath, critical viewpoints on her poetry, the development of her poetry, Freud, etc.;
3. An introduction to each poem, followed by study questions, and a very detailed commentary on the poem. These together guide the reader to an understanding of even the most difficult of Plath's poems. The questions have NO answers (though most of them are covered in the commentaries that follow.) The questions can be used for group discussion, individual study, presentations, written assignments, etc.;
4. Works Cited and Guide to Further Reading
5. A "Questions Only" version of the Study Guide for use as worksheets;
6. A sample essay on the importance of place in Plath's poems;
7. A literary terms activity and a literary terms glossary;
8. Ideas for grouping students for class discussion, feedback and presentations.