Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
Teach students about symbolism, and assess the depth of their understanding with this highly guided writing task that uses James Hurst's "The Scarlet Ibis." This 30-plus page product (MS Word and PPT) includes a variety of necessary lesson materials and teacher materials, including:
1. A bare bones research "project" on scarlet ibises;
2. An active reading task centered on setting (important later);
3. A 12-slide PowerPoint lesson on and activity for symbolism;
4. A guided close-reading activity to help students begin making connections between Doodle and the scarlet ibis (teacher materials included);
5. A graphic organizer for that thinking (teacher materials included);
6. Several lesson materials and necessary vocabulary for teaching students how to present text evidence in writing;
7. The writing task (essay) and rubric;
8. A cheat sheet for selecting the best text evidence (for
9. Lesson materials and two examples for teaching students how to funnel an introductory paragraph;
10. A graphic organizer for mapping the text evidence, including its presentation to readers (teacher materials included).