SYMBOLS OF OUR COUNTRY
Children love learning about our national symbols. This 60 page unit is created to not only give children background information about 10 national symbols, but to give them opportunities to reinforce that knowledge through the use of a matching game, a "Symbols of America" game board, and a "Symbols of America" black line reader.
The 10 symbols include: United States Map, American Flag, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Capitol Building, Statue of Liberty, Liberty Bell, Declaration of Independence, Bald Eagle.
The activities in this unit include:
* Symbols of America Game Board
* Large individual sheets with pictures of each symbol (color and black line)
* Large individual sheets with background information (the pictures and information cards make an excellent bulletin board)
* Matching Game Cards with pictures and titles of symbols *Record Sheet to use after playing the matching game
* Writing Sheets (10)
* Student Reader in black line
Duplicate the cards on card stock. Use the full page sheets on a bulletin board or when discussing the symbols. The small cards may be used as a match game, matching the name of the symbol to its picture. If you want to just use the symbol pictures for the game, duplicate two copies of the cards and sort out the word cards. When a match is made, the child should verbally name the symbol.
The symbol cards may also be used with the Symbols of America game board. Turn the picture cards face down, child draws a card, names the symbol and shakes the dot cube to move their player. The card they draw is returned to the draw pile. If they land on a firework, they tell a fact about one of the symbols.
PLEASE NOTE: This unit was extracted from my Journeys 2014 first grade unit 5 Lesson 25 resource.