Synonyms: A Comprehensive Synonym Unit
This unit on synonyms will help expand vocabulary and provides lessons to show students how they can use different words for better writing. We used a forest habitat as the theme for this unit. Kids love animals, so we used animal photographs to keep their interest and assist with the presentation of these lessons.
This unit can be used in several grades.
• PowerPoint introduction to synonyms. A good resource to begin the unit. 35 pages. The slide show introduces 36 synonym word pairs.
• Bulletin Board - Synonyms with a Forest Community Theme.
Eight full page color animal photographs.
Labels with animal identification and synonym examples.
Bulletin board subject header.
• Synonym blanks - Fill in the blanks using synonyms for an example word.
• Synonym worksheet 1,2,3 - Select the best synonym for the example word.
• Thesaurus Hunt 1, 2 - Use a thesaurus to complete sentences.
• Almost the Same 1, 2 - Use a thesaurus to find additional synonyms and write sentences.
• Synonym Paragraph - Students edit a paragraph using the best synonyms for meaning and style.
• I Have. Who Has? - A synonym based game for the entire class.
• Optional Exercise - Students could create a Reader's Theater presentation by incorporating the dialogue from the PowerPoint slide show.
From The Developer
I was a elementary teacher in 2nd and 3rd grade for 33 years. I'm now a teaching librarian. It was always a struggle to find a good synonym resource, so I helped develop this unit on synonyms. Since this is an important subject to cover in early elementary years, we hope you find it useful.
You may also like our other related Comprehensive Units:
Antonyms: A Comprehensive Antonym Unit
Homophones, Homographs and Homonyms Comprehensive Unit
Synonyms, Antonyms and Homonyms - 3 Unit Bundle
Copyright © Galloping Turtle Books - All Rights Reserved. The purchase of this unit, including the individual parts, are for one teacher only. Other teachers or classrooms must purchase their own individual license. All the individual elements are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Rights do not allow any publication of any parts of the work or uploading to the school website or the internet in any form.
For More Educational Resources