This detailed and engaging lesson enables students to gain an understanding of what synonyms and antonyms are, and why knowledge of them is important when writing. Students also learn to use a variation of synonyms and antonyms in their own writing, for both clarity and effect.
Students learn through a number of fun and interactive tasks, which enable them to:
- Define and exemplify synonyms and antonyms;
- Identify the synonyms and antonyms for a range of different words;
- Understand and analyse how synonyms and antonyms can be used for clarity and effect;
- Create a written piece using a variety of synonyms and antonyms for clarity and effect;
- Evaluate their use of different synonyms and antonyms.
The resources include:
-Visually engaging and comprehensive whole-lesson presentation;
-Resources for the card-sorting activity;
-A model example and analysis worksheet;
-A success criteria;
-Step-by-step lesson plan.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and are cited on the final page of the slide.