As a scaffolded first step before assigning a full-blown research paper, this mini synthesis essay helps introduce the necessary skills for struggling writers to succeed. It walks the student through the entire process from prewriting to revising and editing.
The assignment focuses primarily on incorporating outside sources into a formal paper and less on the persuasive mode; however, that element may be included also.
The prompt loosely connects *To Kill a Mockingbird* to modern day Jim Crow laws.
My other related products:
* PowerPoint: Introduction to MLA
* MLA Formatted Paper Set Up
* SpringBoard English Level 4 (Grade 9) Unit 5 Activity 5 Jim Crow Laws
* To Kill a Mockingbird Learning Stations
* Connecting Selections Short Answer Responses
* Basic Ratiocination for Revising Essays
* Ratiocination -- Color-Coded Essay Revision