Synthesis Essay Unit for AP™ English Language & Composition | Synthesis Question
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Also included in
- The AP™ English Language synthesis question requires an understanding of argumentation, synthesis, and smooth source use. This bundle hits all the skills necessary for success for Question 1 on the AP™️ Lang exam.Save $14.00 by combining these three complementary products:Synthesis Essay Unit for AP™️Price $28.97Original Price $42.97Save $14.00
- Looking for a leg up on AP™ Lang? This bundle offers the eight basic instructional resources needed to build an AP™ English Language & Composition (AP™ Language or AP™ Lang) course. Lesson plans are detailed and specific and ready to teach. All eight are included in Angie's large AP English LangPrice $55.94Original Price $73.94Save $18.00
- This AP™ English Language & Composition bundle is for the first-time instructor or seasoned teacher who needs to shake things up a bit. It contains 1008 pages of AP™Language resources (40 of my AP™ products!). Priced individually, the value of these products is $226.13 so the BUYER SAVES $67.00Price $156.97Original Price $216.86Save $59.89
- Need a framework for a one-semester AP™ Language course? This digital-friendly bundle combines my AP™LANG BASICS BUNDLE with my AP™LANGUAGE MULTIPLE CHOICE BUNDLE #3 to form an exam-specific collection of 22 resources for the Advanced Placement English Language & Composition course.Included arePrice $107.97Original Price $154.44Save $46.47
- This AP™ English Language & Composition CED-aligned bundle is for the first-time instructor or seasoned Lang teacher who needs to shake things up a bit. It contains 1110 pages of AP™ Language and Composition resources (all 50 of my AP™ products!). Priced individually, the value of these productsPrice $196.97Original Price $261.83Save $64.86
- This custom AP Language bundle is designed for one specific customer.Price $32.00Original Price $50.00Save $18.00
- Looking for base writing units for your AP™ Language exam prep? These three complete units provide daily, detailed lesson plans for the AP™ Lang exam Question 1 (Synthesis), Question 2 (Rhetorical Analysis), and Question 3 (Argument).What You're Getting✏️Read 'em and Weave Synthesis Essay Unit for APPrice $41.97Original Price $51.97Save $10.00
Are your student struggling with synthesis skills? This ten-lesson writing unit slows down and stretches the process an student must use for the AP™ Lang exam free response Question 1. What a student will do in May for Question 1 has been stretched to ten lesson plans here, each of which will take 60 to 90 minutes to facilitate.
Each lesson plan includes materials needed, essential question, "I can" statement, activator, teacher input, student active participation, and summary. All materials are provided on Google Slides, and student exercises include editable text boxes.
This resource has been updated to reflect changes to the scoring rubric. Each lesson plan includes the AP™ skills listed in the new Course and Exam Description.
Directions for Google Slides
Lesson 1: Defining Synthesis (Handouts A through J)
Lesson 2: Breaking Down the Prompt (Handout K)
Lesson 3: Conversing with Sources (Handouts L through N)
Lesson 4: Image Analysis (Handout O)
Lesson 5: Political Cartoon Analysis (Handout P)
Lesson 6: Embedding Source Material (Handouts Q and R)
Lesson 7: Timed Practice #1 (Handouts S and T)
Lesson 8: Synthesis Prompt Project (Handouts U through W)
Lesson 9: Timed Practice #2
Formatted Lined Paper
Lesson 10: Thinking Like a Reader (Handouts X and Y)
Ways to Use This Unit
✏️ Introduce the synthesis essay in an AP Language class.
✏️ Pull lessons as needed for DBQs in AP history classes.
✏️ Incorporate lessons into a longer research paper unit.
✏️ Use lesson plans in small group remediation sessions.
✏️ Teach the synthesis process remotely.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️I have used this to help me prepare my lessons for my new AP™ Lang class. It is thorough and I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into this resource. I feel more confident going into my first year as an AP Lang teacher. Michelle H.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️This unit was a lifesaver for me. As an experienced AP™ teacher but new to Language and Comp, I needed the framework this provided to help me guide my students through the synthesis question. It was very easy to use and I loved the digital component. Melissa R.
This unit is designed on the premise that students have already learned how to construct an argument. Here, students learn to deal with the synthesis prompt and incorporate information from sources. If you need a resource for teaching argumentation and persuasion, take a look at Argumentative & Persuasive Writing. For help teaching students how to summarize and paraphrase, check out Ramen Noodle Summarizing and Cow Cud Paraphrasing. The three products are BUNDLED TOGETHER HERE at a significant discount.
This unit is included in an AP English Language & Composition Product BUNDLE which offers all of Angie’s AP products at a HUGE discount.