This document is a CROWD FAVORITE with the kiddos! My 8th graders love playing this game and don't even realize it is helping hone their argumentative and persuasive speaking & writing skills!
Here's how you play:
1. A statement will be read. You are silent.
2. If you agree, stand up. If you disagree, stay seated.
3. You have 2 minutes to defend your position
a. (come up with 2 written statements of evidence)
4. You will have the opportunity to make your statement.
5. Opposing person will have the opportunity to refute (or disagree with) your statement.
I have sentence starters on the board & rules of engagement to ensure each student is playing politely and correctly.
DISAGREE: I understand what _____________ said about _______________(summarize their argument) however, I respectfully DISAGREE because...
AGREE: I AGREE with what _____________ said about _______________(summarize their argument) and I would like to add…