TEN FRAME TRAIN
Includes: Ten Frames from 1 - 120 and blank ten frames to use with manipulative counters. You will need to provide your own counters. Four train graphics (engine, passenger, cargo, and caboose) are provided in both color and black and white (to allow students to color their own.) Easy instructions are given.
TEKS 1.2C Use objects, pictures, and expanded and standard forms to represent numbers up to 120.
CCSS 1.NBT.A.1 Count to 120, starting at any number less than 120. In this range, read and write numerals and represent a number of objects with a written numeral.
1. Duplicate ten frames with and without numbers on card stock. Laminate if desired. Cut out both the blank and numbered ten frames.
2. Optional usage of train pieces. Students could construct their own trains by using black and white clip art selections. “Class Trains” could be made with students coloring their own passenger or cargo cars.
3. Ten Frame Trains can be made with or without using the clip art by lining up ten frame cards in a line.
4. Begin by having the numbered ten frames above the empty ten frames. Students use some sort of manipulative counter to fill the ten frames in the pattern shown by the numbers. Have them count out loud while filling the ten frames with counters and then go back and count from 1 to any multiple of ten you are teaching.
5. Students can then progress to reciting and then writing the numbers from 1 – 120 on the ten frame cards.
6. The ten frame cards could then be used to help students learn to count by tens, fives, and twos.
7. Labels and names can be added to the engines and cabooses.
All rights reserved by author. Permission to copy for single classroom use only. https://www.teacherpayteachers.com/Store/Joyce-Talbott-1327