Also included in
- Your learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity of our engaging activities built from best teaching practices. We want to make your lesson planning journey easy, so you can focus on your expertise. This novel study includes a curriculum map pacing guide that offers our day-by-day suggestion for hoPrice $24.99Original Price $36.28Save $11.29
Catcher in the Rye Google Earth is a high-engagement way to give an Introduction Tour of the geography of the novel's world. The first time I busted out Google Earth on the projector to introduce a unit, students were riveted. And they still are...every time.
SUGGESTED ACTIVITY IMPLEMENTATION
Using free software available through Google.com, the class will enjoy a multimedia tour through the locations in the story. Many of them will be zoomed in to 3D, ground-level views. All of them will give the students a close-up view of the world’s geography and how the locations can come to life as they see the world there in class.
Choose from a few options: (1) show them the tour of the world beforehand (withholding plot information to avoid spoilers) so they can see where you’re going, (2) show them as the story unfolds, or (3) show them after the story is over as an eye-opening review.
★ We've filmed a YouTube video tutorial to acquaint you with the software.
★ Make sure you have the ability to unzip a folder to view the content inside. We've filmed a YouTube video tutorial to acquaint you with unzipping files.
Pencey Prep, Central Park, Rockefeller Plaza, and all of Holden's lonely search for purpose in life...and most of the 36 locations zoomed in to the 3D street view. It's rockin awesome.
This Google Earth tour has 36 important locations saved for you to visit with your students (page numbers included for easy navigation with the novel, The Catcher in the Rye):
→ J.D. Salinger's Family Apartment
→ Pencey Prep
→ McBurney School
→ Anthony Wayne Drive
→ Route 204
→ The Pond
→ Oxford University
→ Newark, New Jersey
→ Penn Station
→ Edmont Hotel
→ Princeton University
→ Greenwich Village
→ Yale University
→ Cambridge University
→ West Point Military Academy
→ Broadway Theater
→ Grand Central Station
→ Bandshell in Central Park
→ American Museum of Natural History
→ Biltmore Hotel
→ Rockefeller Plaza
→ Choate School
→ Wicker Bar
→ Columbia University
→ Radio City Music Hall
→ Shanghai, China
→ Phoebe & Holden's Home Apartment
→ New York University
→ Mr. Antolini's House
→ West Side Tennis Club
→ Phoebe's School
→ Metropolitan Museum of Art
→ Holland Tunnel
→ Central Park Zoo
→ Central Park Carousel
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOADING THE CATCHER IN THE RYE TOUR:
★ NOTE: If you haven't used Google Earth before, you'll want to leave yourself enough time to download the program and acquaint yourself a little bit with it. But guaranteed...this interactivity is totally worth it!!!
(1) Make sure you have the ability to unzip a folder to view the content inside
(2) Make sure your computer has the program Google Earth. It is a powerful, free program available through www.Google.com.
(3) Open Google Earth
(4) Click "File > Open"
(5) Locate your "CATCHERINTHERYEGoogleEarthTour.kmz" file on your computer.
(6) In Google Earth under the heading "Temporary Places," you should now see a list of locations.
(7) You can then save the tour into your Google Earth for easy future use.
(8) And if you click on any of the location links, the map will zoom in straight to that location.
(9) Please let us know if you need any further assistance.
If you're wanting to use Google Earth for a Mac, it looks like you'll have to download the software to your computer at this link >>> https://www.google.com/earth/versions/#earth-pro
(1) Find the file "GoogleEarthProSetup" in your downloads.
(2) Follow the instructions for installing on your Mac.
(3) Click "My Places"
(4) Locate your Created for Learning Google Earth tour on your computer.
(5) Open & Enjoy.
If you're using Google Earth online via Google Chrome, use these instructions:
(1) Click "Launch Earth in Chrome"
(2) Click "Projects"
(3) Click Enable KML & KMZ Files
(4) Scroll to the bottom and click the tab to enable experimental KML.
(5) Click "Import KML File"
(6) Locate your Created for Learning Google Earth tour on your computer.
(7) Click "Save"
(8) Then Click the arrow next to the Tour's title to see and navigate all the locations in the tour.
TEXT: THE CATCHER IN THE RYE by J. D. Salinger
COMMON CORE: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.2
→ Based off the 1989 Bantom Books Edition [ISBN: 0553250256].
Enjoy! And don't be a phony.
⭐⭐ Get the Digital Distance Learning version of this activity. ⭐⭐
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS GOOGLE EARTH RESOURCE
♥ One of my best purchases! It can take some time to get set up, depending on your experience with Google Earth. The video tutorials are really helpful, and the provided instructions and explanations are thorough which make the set up process relatively stress-free!
♥ The students LOVE seeing the locations! For many of my CA kids, this is the closest they've ever been. It made it more real for them to imagine.
♥ "You mean this is a real place?" That's what I heard all day when I presented this :-). The kids really loved "walking" around.
♥ This is one of my most favorite tools to use! My rural, Midwestern students did benefit from seeing the locations. It's a neat idea. My students love the visual and the "realness" of the places!
♥ This is a great activity for my AP Lit students. Students are consistently engaged with this resource. It's nice to have something exciting when starting a new book, and this is just what I needed. The instructions were very thorough.
♥ Labeled and easy to navigate. This is pretty nifty, and helpful for the more visual learners! :) They requested that we use it several times! I love having the map open while we are reading and zooming in to each place we talk about. My kids thought this was great and so did my principal. Thank you for making the story come alive!
OTHER CATCHER IN THE RYE PHONY-NESS
OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT LIBRARY
→ We've got 35+ more complete novel units for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR?
→ Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!