THE CRUCIBLE Drama Unit. This is a fully detailed, curriculum aligned drama unit based on Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible' which provides you with 6 x 100 minute whole lesson plans. NO PREP REQUIRED! This unit comes with detailed lesson plans, homework task handouts, in class handouts, performance feedback template, essay plans and more. I've done your term planning for you so you and have included detailed instructions so you can implement a quality drama unit based on The Crucible! A classic play for drama studies. Suitable for years 10, 11 and 12 drama and English classes.
Note on resource: you will need to purchase a copy of the play to implement this unit. Students will also need a copy of the play.
Note on lesson 6: Lesson 6 is a performance lesson where students perform scenes that they have rehearsed. There is no content for lesson 6 other than a suggested warm up and a performance feedback template.
Note for English teachers: This unit includes well explained drama tasks and also analysis work suitable for an English classroom. Arthur Miller wrote this play to be performed - why not try to implement some drama into your Crucible curriculum?
- 5 x 100 Minute Detailed Lesson Plans with well explained activities in a well structured sequence + an additional 6th performance lesson
- Homework Tasks
- Play Tracker
- Character Impressions Worksheets
- In Class Handouts
- Comprehension Questions for each Act
- Trial Scripts
- Extension / Additional Activities
- Essay Guides (2 essay options with a differentiated essay task)
- Performance Feedback Template (for assessing final performances)
... and more
KEY VOCABULARY: Characterisation. Character / Text Analysis. Theme. Meaning. Tension. Staging. Interpretation. Hot Seating. Critical Evaluation. Collaboration. Cultural Background. Character Motivations. Character Relationships. Props / Set / Lighting. Rehearsal Process.
UNIT AIMS: Students will explore Arthur Miller’s ‘The Crucible’ in-depth, analysing the play and the characters through performance and research.
- Explore the background, themes and language of the play
- Research and consider the social and cultural context and topic of the play
- Interpret the playwrights meaning by analysing the text
- Refine work through collaborative rehearsal
- Develop processes and skills for performance
- Make meaningful character choices and maintain believable characters
- Interpret characters and record character impressions
- Analyse and respond to characters’ inner thoughts and feelings, motivations and traits
- Consider and reflect on the playwrights storytelling devices
- Respond to the play by exploring character relationships and developing complex characters
- Complete a guided essay (optional)
Please note that this product is for personal classroom teaching or home school use by a single purchaser only. You may not distribute, copy or modify the contents of the drama unit other than for your own personal, non-commercial classroom use. © Drama Trunk. All rights reserved.
*********** Looking for the handiest drama resource you will ever own? *************
DRAMA TRUNK DRAMA CARDS ARE A DRAMA TEACHER'S BEST FRIEND! Just print, laminate (optional) and cut out a set of versatile drama cards that you can use over and over again. I cannot count how many times and ways I have used drama cards – absolutely my most handy drama resource.
NEVER BE STUCK FOR A DRAMA ACTIVITY AGAIN!
Grab 17 DRAMA TRUNK drama card classic sets (also available individually) CLASSIC BUNDLED PACK with Character, Emotion, Location, Movement, Mime Drama Cards and more...
OR CHECK OUT SOME OTHER SETS (available individually):
+ MORE AVAILABLE
Use DRAMA TRUNK drama cards for tons of creative, fun, imaginative, any day activities, including:
• Drama games (including last minute activities)
• Warm ups
• Team building and cooperation activities
• Improvisation / quick thinking
• Audition / rehearsal activities
• Language activities
• Guided learning
• Listening skills
Combine the use of multiple cards for even more activities, challenges and ideas (you will have a HUGE amount of drama activities ready to go when needed).
Stay tuned to my page DRAMA TRUNK for more fantastic drama resources – from drama activities and classes for little people; primary school level drama; secondary curriculum, drama cards and more...