This lesson for one of Robert Frost's strongest poems leads students through the emotions and acceptance involved with dying. Here, with the full text of the poem is a close reading study, including:
- a 'First Impressions' graphic organizer for the first read through,
- Close Reading focus questions for a second, more deliberative read - WITH ANSWER KEY,
- the poem itself on three pages, set up for students to mark as they go through the focus questions,
- teacher notes and suggestions, including discussion of the poet's use of blank verse,
- Analysis questions for deep reading,
- and an Essential Question page: quote, prompt, lines for student writing.
Aligns with CCSS ELA 9 - 12:
RL1, 2, 3, 4, 5
W1 and 2
For other Robert Frost poems, click here:
Out, Out . . .
The Master Speed