Anne Frank Google Earth is a high-engagement way to give an Introduction Tour of the geography of the novel's world. The first time I busted out Google Earth on the projector to introduce a unit, students were riveted. And they still are...every time.
We've filmed a YouTube video tutorial to acquaint you with the software.
(1) Make sure you have the ability to unzip a folder to view the content inside. We've filmed a YouTube video tutorial to acquaint you with unzipping files.
: The Diary of Anne Frank / The Diary of a Young Girl
: 6th - 12th
This resource can be purchased as part of ANNE FRANK Unit Teaching Package bundle.
Germany, Amsterdam, the ghettos, and concentration camps...they get to see it all in 3D zoomed in to the street view. It's rockin awesome!
This Google Earth tour has a whole bunch of important locations saved for you to visit before/while reading The Diary of Anne Frank with your students:
* Hospital Zum Heiligengeist - Anne Frank's birthplace in Frankfurt am Main
* Old Jewish Quarters - Where Anne Frank, family, and friends lived before going into hiding
* Switzerland - To throw the Nazis off their trail when the family went into hiding, Mr. Otto Frank left behind a letter saying the family had fled here
* Anne Frank House - The hideout where Anne Frank and family and friends hid from the Nazis
* Westerkerk Church - The church down the street from their hideout that they heard every hour on the hour for years
* Warsaw Ghetto - This is one of the largest Jewish ghettos
* Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp - This is the camp where Anne Frank, Margot, and Auguste were sent
* Auschwitz Death Camp - This is the camp where Mr. Frank was sent via train
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOADING THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK TOUR:
NOTE: If you haven't used Google Earth before, you'll want to leave yourself enough time
to download the program and acquaint yourself a little bit with it. But guaranteed...this interactivity is totally worth it!!!
(1) Make sure you have the ability to unzip a folder to view the content inside
(2) Make sure your computer has the program Google Earth. It is a powerful, free program available through www.Google.com.
(3) Open Google Earth
(4) Click "File > Open"
(5) Locate your "ANNEFRANKIntroGoogleEarthTour.kmz" file on your computer.
(6) In Google Earth under the heading "Temporary Places," you should now see a list of locations.
(7) You can then save the tour into your Google Earth for easy future use.
(8) And if you click on any of the location links, the map will zoom in straight to that location.
(9) Please let us know if you need any further assistance.
Also, try downloading this free Google Earth tutorial .pdf handout
for further reference.
Enjoy The Diary of Anne Frank!
SEE OTHER ANNE FRANK RESOURCES:
> ANNE FRANK Unit Teaching Package
> PreReading Bias
> Intro Notes PowerPoint
> Google Earth Introduction Tour
> Holocaust Reading List
> KWL Organizer Chart for Notetaking
> Public Domain Images
> Plot Chart Organizer
> Conflict Graphic Organizer - 6 Types of Conflict
> QuickWrite Journal Writing Prompts
> Literary Response Questions PowerPoint
> Essay & Quotes Trackers
> Verb Moods: PowerPoint Jeopardy
> Active Passive Voice: PowerPoint Jeopardy
> Extra Credit Activity
> Characters Poster
> Timeline Poster
OTHER NOVEL UNITS:
> ANNE FRANK Unit Teaching Package
> BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA Unit Teaching Package
> BUD, NOT BUDDY Unit Teaching Package (by Christopher Paul Curtis)
> CATCHER IN THE RYE Unit Teaching Package (by J.D. Salinger)
> CHRISTMAS CAROL Unit Teaching Package (by Charles Dickens)
> DIVERGENT Unit Teaching Package (by Veronica Roth)
> ENDER'S GAME Unit Teaching Package (by Orson Scott Card)
> ESPERANZA RISING Unit Teaching Package (by Pam Munoz Ryan)
> FAHRENHEIT 451 Unit Teaching Package (by Ray Bradbury)
> FAULT IN OUR STARS Unit Teaching Package (by John Green)
> FREAK THE MIGHTY Unit Teaching Package (by Rodman Philbrick)
> GIVER Unit Teaching Package (by Lois Lowry)
> GREAT GATSBY Unit Teaching Package (by F. Scott Fitzgerald)
> HATCHET Unit Teaching Package (by Gary Paulsen)
> HOLES Unit Teaching Package (by Louis Sachar)
> HUNGER GAMES Unit Teaching Package (by Suzanne Collins)
> IF I STAY Unit Teaching Package (by Gayle Forman)
> ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS Unit Teaching Package (by Scott O'Dell)
> JULIUS CAESAR Unit Teaching Package (by William Shakespeare)
> LORD OF THE FLIES Unit Teaching Package (by William Golding)
> MAZE RUNNER Unit Teaching Package (by James Dashner)
> NIGHT Unit Teaching Package (by Elie Wiesel)
> NUMBER THE STARS Unit Teaching Package (by Lois Lowry)
> OF MICE AND MEN Unit Teaching Package (by John Steinbeck)
> OUTSIDERS Unit Teaching Package (by S.E. Hinton)
> PAPER TOWNS Unit Teaching Package (by John Green)
> ROLL OF THUNDER, HEAR MY CRY Unit Teaching Package (by Mildred Taylor)
> ROMEO AND JULIET Unit Teaching Package (by William Shakespeare)
> TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD Unit Teaching Package (by Harper Lee)
> TUCK EVERLASTING Unit Teaching Package
> UNWIND Unit Teaching Package by Neal Shusterman
> WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM Unit Teaching Package
> WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS Unit Teaching Package
> WONDER Unit Teaching Package
> Poetry Unit Complete PowerPoint and Packet - Genres, Forms, Techniques, Devices
> Commas Complete Unit - Lessons, Assessments, Answer Keys - Grammar Ninja
> Parts of Speech Complete Unit - Lessons, Assessments, Answers - Grammar Ninja
> Subjects Verbs Complete Unit - Lessons, Assessments, Answer Keys - Grammar Ninja