CCSS ELA aligned, for this story set in the American Revolution, here is a novel study that includes the following. Note: I separated the novel into 10 parts - twelve to fifteen pages each part. No time period was divided.
- Quick Quizzes - one for each part, with answer keys
- Recording page for Quick Quiz answers - use like exit tickets
- 12 Task Cards - usable for writing or discussion, in groups or independent - including their CCSS ELA alignment
- Venn diagram comparing characters
- One page Novel Essentials worksheet for time, characters, setting
- Word Search for names and terms in the novel, also containing matching German to English self-quiz
- Word Study including completing definitions, spelling ladders, and vocabulary test
- Answers included
Students may write directly on the half-page quizzes, or a class set of the quizzes may be run-off and the students write their responses on an Answer Page - included here.
See Preview for a breakdown of the types of quizzes and for samples of the quizzes and task cards.
Other Novel Units I have for books by Avi:
WHO STOLE THE 'WIZARD OF OZ'
THE SECRET SCHOOL
Other Revolutionary War related novel units I have:
A REBEL AMONG REDCOATS by Jessica Gunderson
GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SOCKS by Elvira Woodruff
PHOEBE, THE SPY by Judith Griffin
WOODS RUNNER by Gary Paulsen
Civil War novel units I sell include:
SHADES OF GRAY by Carolyn Reeder
BULL RUN by Paul Fleischman