THE GIVER ESCAPE ROOM NOVEL ACTIVITY: Help your students review plot, character, conflict, symbolism, character and vocabulary in The Giver by Lois Lowry with this highly-engaging interactive escape room activity!
HOW IT WORKS
Students work in small groups and move about the classroom to five different stations to complete puzzles and activities that will help Jonas escape the community, arrive at Elsewhere, and save Gabriel..
In the first station, they will gain access to Jonas' father's bike by ordering plot points according to the plot diagram to determine a numeric code.
In the second station, Jonas will hide from the thermal detecting plane by matching up descriptions to characters and using the information they gather to reveal a secret code word.
In the third station, Jonas will find food (fish and berries) for himself and Gabriel by completing a multiple-choice analysis assignment about the novel to reveal a mystery word.
In the fourth station, Jonas will transmit the memory of sunshine to save Gabriel from freezing to death by matching up new vocabulary words from examples in the novel to their proper definition (using context clues). Once they have matched them up correctly, it will reveal a mystery word.
The final station has Jonas find the red sled and slide into Elsewhere by decoding an encryption based on hidden symbols they have to find throughout the game to reveal a quote from the novel!
Please note that students will need to have completed the novel to complete this activity. They should also have an understanding of the following: plot diagram,
conflict types, dynamic character, point of view types, and symbolism.
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE
• Detailed teacher instructions for setting up the room and facilitating the activity
• A classroom door sign to welcome students to the activity
• Signs for each of the five stations
• Story cards for each station that takes students through the process of Jonas' escape (direct support/quotes from the text are provided)
• Student instructions for each of the five stations
• All the materials students need for each station (envelope templates, plot cards, character cards, multiple-choice reading assignment, vocabulary puzzle, encryption assignment)
• A student answer booklet where the group can record the codes and keys they find.
• A teacher answer key you can use to check the work to determine the winner.
• Two reflection assignments to complete after the escape room. One is a reflection on the quote revealed in the final puzzle and the other is a reflection on the escape room activity.
Like This Resource? Click The Link Below To See More Outsiders Resources By Presto Plans
THE GIVER COMPLETE UNIT PLAN
© Presto Plans
★CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE 10 FREE ENGLISH TEACHER RESOURCES!