Our Google Drive Giver Unit Teaching Package has 232+ pages and slides of engaging activities
. Learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity
in these standards-aligned resources built from best practices.
: The Giver by Lois Lowry
: 6th - 12th
: 232 slides/pages in lesson plan unit
Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
»»» Print Version
»»» Combo Bundle
What other teachers are saying about this literature unit
♥ I love this unit! I bought a different unit from another provider outside TpT, and comparatively, this one is more creative and definitely more reliable. I haven't had to correct any proofing errors. Love the chosen graphics as well. The Job Description worksheet is clever and has led to interesting discussions. The QuickWrites are thought- and conversation-provoking as well. I'm really enjoying the depth my students and I are achieving together. This package is a great complement to the book as I help usher them into high school and more mature, analytical thinking.
♥ My students FREAKED out over this! Absolutely BRILLIANT unit! Thanks so much!
♥ I love how thorough and creative this unit is. This will be immensely helpful in my classroom and help my students really get into the novel. Thank you!!
♥ All I can say is WOW! There are some really awesome ideas here. Thank you so much for all your hard work. You just made my life easier!
♥ This is impressive. I love the powerpoints and the quick writes. I purchased another unit and this one is by far the most creative, thought provoking, and organized. Every element pushed the student to engage at multiple levels of thinking from concrete recall to analytical.
»»» MEETS COMMON CORE STANDARDS «««
What is Created for Digital?
··· Our Created for Digital resources take all the trusted, quality instructional tools you know and love and convert them into the digital format you need for your online learners.
Why go Digital?
··· Paperless. No printing.
··· Instant saving ... students work in the file.
··· Technology Proficiency
··· Works on Chromebooks, Android Tablets, and other devices
··· Engaged students
··· Easy group work
··· Paper trail of revisions for teacher to see
··· Teacher Tutorial - access link and how to use this with your learners
··· Microsoft OneDrive user instructions - a step-by-step visual tutorial. This will only take minutes!
··· All slides can be used over and over again.
LITERATURE PLAN CONTENTS:
* Suggested timeline of how a teacher could plan out the 6-week unit.
* Detailed explanations of the goals of each activity and how to conduct the activities in the classroom.
··· Pre-reading Bias Intro Activity
- answer thematic questions to get students thinking about the novel
- 11-page activity & Google slides
··· Introduction to Utopias
- Introduces students to the concept of utopias and dystopias; provides examples from real life, novels, and film
- 23 Google slides
··· Utopia Project & Travel Brochure Activity
- Students put their knowledge of utopias into practice by creating their own theoretical utopia.
- They create a persuasive travel brochure for their utopia that explains the vision and functionality.
- They present it to the class and get asked questions.
- 2 pages
··· Plot Chart Organizer Diagram Arc
- organize the 6 parts of the plot
- 1-page organizer (answer key included)
··· Conflict Graphic Organizer - 6 Types of Conflict
- analyze the 6 types of conflict
- 2-page organizer (answer key included)
··· Characters Organizer
- analyze the main characters
- 5-page organizer
··· Verbals (Infinitives, Participles, Gerunds) Activity
- Students learn the difference between these difficult verbals
- 3-page bundle practicing the verbals
- 25-slide practicing the verbals
- 1-page quiz assessing their learning
··· Phrases and Clauses (Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb)
- Students learn and practice these different types of clauses
- 27-Google slide resource
··· Vocabulary List and Quiz Assessment
- 60 vocabulary words from the novel
- one 60-question quiz and two 30-question quizzes
- 6-page Bundle includes list of words, quiz, and answer keys
··· Ceremony of 12 Activity
- Simulate your very own Ceremony of 12!
- Students are assigned different real life jobs from the top 200 jobs list and write about their thoughts of being assigned a job.
- Students learn the various real life jobs available
- 12pg bundle & 52 Google slides
··· Jobs List Organizer
- Students catalogue and analyze the various jobs from the community and their societal worth
- 3-page organizer
··· Journal - Quickwrite Writing Prompts
- Highly engaging writing and discussion questions
- 17 Writing Prompt Slides
··· GIVER 4 Pop Quizzes
- a 5-question pop quiz per section (answer keys included)
- The purpose of these is so students who read the chapters recently would ace the quiz and students who didn't read recently would not do well.
··· Persuasive Essay and Speech
- 3 essay options for students to choose from
- Includes essay grading rubrics
- Includes quote tracking pages
- 10-page bundle
··· Projects - Creative, Artistic, Differentiated
- 5 creative final projects for students to choose from
- grading rubric provided
··· Pain Gallery - Final Activity and Discussion
- Students draw a picture of something painful and anonymously turn them in to be hung on the wall.
- Large class discussion about the various pains of life and how to fix them.
- 5 Google slides, 3-questions
··· Newbery Award Speech & Response
- Students read or listen to Lois Lowry’s Newbery speech and think deeply about the meaning.
- 8-page speech and 1 page of response questions
··· Jeopardy Trivia Competition
- Have some fun at the end while students recall what they’ve read!
- 26-slide PowerPoint Jeopardy Trivia
··· Movie vs. Novel Comparison
- compare and contrast the movie and novel
- 2-page group comparison
Enjoy The Giver! And may your world always be in full color!
»»» OTHER THE GIVER
> Digital 1:1 Complete Unit »»»
> For-Print Complete Unit »»»
> Digital-Print Combo Unit »»»
»»» OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT
> We've got 35+ more complete novel units
for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
> Poetry Unit Complete PowerPoint and Packet - Genres, Forms, Techniques, Devices
»»» Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR
> Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!