Your learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity of our engaging activities built from best teaching practices. We want to make your lesson planning journey easy, so you can focus on your expertise. This novel study includes a curriculum map pacing guide that offers our day-by-day suggestion for how to plan out your weeks of lessons. Our pedagogy section explains the instructive idea behind the activity, gives ideas for implementation, and aligns it to the standards. We've filmed some training videos on (1) how to assemble a Novel Analysis Packet that is unique to the academic needs of your learners and (2) how to effectively use our Quickwrite writing prompts.
TEXT: THE GIVER by Lois Lowry
LEVEL: 6th - 12th
TOTAL: 232 slides/pages in lesson plan unit
→ Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS LITERATURE RESOURCE
♥ One of the most comprehensive and thought-out novel units on TpT. My kids LOVED it! Will be using again and again for the next decade, thanks!!!!!!!!!!
♥ This man's work is absolutely incredible!! I will buy from him for every unit I see applies to my classroom/curriculum! His work is through, detailed and elaborated so that it's perfect for ALL classrooms. The differentiation piece is what I love the most. I am also obsessed with the QuickWrites! I do a lot of journal writing and this addition is PERFECT! 5 PLUSSS PLUSSS STARS!!! Thank you sooo much!!
♥ I love this unit! I bought a different unit from another provider outside TpT, and comparatively, this one is more creative and definitely more reliable. I haven't had to correct any proofing errors. Love the chosen graphics as well. The Job Description worksheet is clever and has led to interesting discussions. The Quickwrites are thought- and conversation-provoking as well. I'm really enjoying the depth my students and I are achieving together. This package is a great complement to the book as I help usher them into high school and more mature, analytical thinking.
♥ My students FREAKED out over this! Absolutely BRILLIANT unit! Thanks so much!
♥ I love how thorough and creative this unit is. This will be immensely helpful in my classroom and help my students really get into the novel. Thank you!!
♥ All I can say is WOW! There are some really awesome ideas here. Thank you so much for all your hard work. You just made my life easier!
♥ This is impressive. I love the Powerpoints and the quick writes. I purchased another unit and this one is by far the most creative, thought provoking, and organized. Every element pushed the student to engage at multiple levels of thinking from concrete recall to analytical.
LITERATURE PLAN CONTENTS
→ Suggested timeline of how a teacher could plan out the unit
→ Detailed explanations of the goals of each activity and how to conduct the activities
→ Meets Common Core Standards
→ Easy to differentiate for different learning levels: Honors, 2nd language learners, and Sped
- answer thematic questions to get students thinking about the novel
- 11-page activity & PowerPoint
- Introduces students to the concept of utopias and dystopias; provides examples from real life, novels, and film
- 23-slide slideshow
- Students put their knowledge of utopias into practice by creating their own theoretical utopia.
- They create a persuasive travel brochure for their utopia that explains the vision and functionality.
- They present it to the class and get asked questions.
- 2 pages
- organize the 6 parts of the plot
- 1-page analyzer (answer key included)
- analyze the 6 types of conflict
- 2-page analyzer (answer key included)
- analyze the main characters
- 5-page analyzer
- Students learn the difference between these difficult verbals
- 3-page bundle practicing the verbals
- 25-slide practicing the verbals
- 1-page quiz assessing their learning
- Students learn and practice these different types of clauses
- 27-page/slide resource
- 60 vocabulary words from the novel
- one 60-question quiz and two 30-question quizzes
- 6-page Bundle includes list of words, quiz, and answer keys
- Simulate your very own Ceremony of 12!
- Students are assigned different real life jobs from the top 200 jobs list and write about their thoughts of being assigned a job.
- Students learn the various real life jobs available
- 12pg bundle & 52-slide slideshow
- Students catalog and analyze the various jobs from the community and their societal worth
- 3-page analyzer
- Highly engaging writing and discussion questions
- 17 Writing Prompts Slides
- Adds some ease to figuring out which iPod audiobook tract matches with which pages from the book
- 1 page/image
- a 5-question pop quiz per section (answer keys included)
- The purpose of these is so students who read the chapters recently would ace the quiz and students who didn't read recently would not do well.
- 3 essay options for students to choose from
- Includes essay grading rubrics
- Includes quote tracking pages
- 10-page bundle
- 5 creative final projects for students to choose from
- 1-page printable
- grading rubric provided
- Students draw a picture of something painful and anonymously turn them in to be hung on the wall.
- Large class discussion about the various pains of life and how to fix them.
- 5-slide, 3-question slideshow
- Students read or listen to Lois Lowry’s Newbery speech and think deeply about the meaning.
- 8-page speech and 1 page of response questions
- Audio tracks of speech read by Created for Learning
- Have some fun at the end while students recall what they’ve read!
- 26-slide slideshow Jeopardy Trivia
- compare and contrast the movie and novel
- 2-page group comparison
Enjoy! And may your world always be in full color!
OTHER THE GIVER COLOR
OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT LIBRARY
→ We've got 35+ more complete novel units for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR?
→ Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!