Your learners will enjoy the rigor and creativity of our engaging activities built from best teaching practices. We want to make your lesson planning journey easy, so you can focus on your expertise. This novel study includes a curriculum map pacing guide that offers our day-by-day suggestion for how to plan out your weeks of lessons. Our pedagogy section explains the instructive idea behind the activity, gives ideas for implementation, and aligns it to the standards. We've filmed some training videos on (1) how to assemble a Novel Analysis Packet that is unique to the academic needs of your learners and (2) how to effectively use our Quickwrite writing prompts.
To make your digital experience smooth, we include instructions (w/ screenshots!) of how to download and organize your resources in Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive. We've added Google Forms versions of each activity that auto-corrects their responses using a suggested answer key (which you can adjust afterward or modify your answer key) and compiles grades into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods to make things easier for you to grade all in one place (some types of question aren't able to auto-grade, though, because of the short-answer format). Our activities easily integrate w/ Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Canvas, Schoology, Edmodo, Blackboard, Moodle, Brightspace, Sakai, Showbie, Remind, & more.
TEXT: THE GIVER by Lois Lowry
LEVEL: 6th - 12th
TOTAL: 268 slides/pages in lesson plan unit
→ Based off the 1993 copyright, 2002 reprint edition published by Dell Laurel-Leaf and includes pages from The Giver movie tie-in printed edition [ISBN: 978-0544340688].
→ Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
Both versions & the combo bundle contain the same activities. The only difference is how they are optimized for print/in-person or digital distance learning. The print/in-person version is formatted to save you photocopies and ink, while the digital makes use of colorful, rich graphics and more space for working along with easy-grade forms. And the Combo bundle includes all of it to meet your shifting needs day-to-day.
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THIS LITERATURE RESOURCE
♥ I love this unit! I bought a different unit from another provider outside TpT, and comparatively, this one is more creative and definitely more reliable. I haven't had to correct any proofing errors. Love the chosen graphics as well. The Job Description worksheet is clever and has led to interesting discussions. The Quickwrites are thought- and conversation-provoking as well. I'm really enjoying the depth my students and I are achieving together. This package is a great complement to the book as I help usher them into high school and more mature, analytical thinking.
♥ Loved using this unit with Google Classroom. Thanks!!
♥ My students FREAKED out over this! Absolutely BRILLIANT unit! Thanks so much!
♥ I love how thorough and creative this unit is. This will be immensely helpful in my classroom and help my students really get into the novel. Thank you!!
♥ All I can say is WOW! There are some really awesome ideas here. Thank you so much for all your hard work. You just made my life easier!
♥ This is impressive. I love the Powerpoints and the quick writes. I purchased another unit andthis one is by far the most creative, thought provoking, and organized. Every element pushed the student to engage at multiple levels of thinking from concrete recall to analytical.
LITERATURE PLAN CONTENTS
→ Suggested timeline of how a teacher could plan out the unit
→ Detailed explanations of the goals of each activity and how to conduct the activities
→ Meets Common Core Standards
→ Easy to differentiate for different learning levels: Honors, 2nd language learners, and Sped
- answer thematic questions to get students thinking about the novel
- 11-slide activity
- Introduces students to the concept of utopias and dystopias; provides examples from real life, novels, and film
- 23 Google slides
- Students put their knowledge of utopias into practice by creating their own theoretical utopia.
- They create a persuasive travel brochure for their utopia that explains the vision and functionality.
- They present it to the class and get asked questions.
- 2 slides
- organize the 6 parts of the plot
- 1-slide analyzer (answer key included)
- analyze the 6 types of conflict
- 2-slide analyzer (answer key included)
- analyze the main characters
- 5-slide analyzer
- Students learn the difference between these difficult verbals
- 3-slide bundle practicing the verbals
- 25-slide practicing the verbals
- 1-slide quiz assessing their learning
- Students learn and practice these different types of clauses
- 27-Google slide resource
- 60 vocabulary words from the novel
- one 60-question quiz and two 30-question quizzes
- 6-slide Bundle includes list of words, quiz, and answer keys
- We've added a Google Forms quiz version that auto-grades for you and compiles grades into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods.
- Simulate your very own Ceremony of 12!
- Students are assigned different real life jobs from the top 200 jobs list and write about their thoughts of being assigned a job.
- Students learn the various real life jobs available
- 64-slide bundle
- Students catalogue and analyze the various jobs from the community and their societal worth
- 3-slide analyzer
- Highly engaging writing and discussion questions
- 17 Writing Prompt Slides
- a 5-question pop quiz per section (answer keys included)
- The purpose of these is so students who read the chapters recently would ace the quiz and students who didn't read recently would not do well.
- We've added a Google Forms quiz version that compiles all responses into a spreadsheet with learners' names and class periods for easy grading.
- 3 essay options for students to choose from
- Includes essay grading rubrics
- Includes quote tracking pages
- 10-slide bundle
- 5 creative final projects for students to choose from
- grading rubric provided
- Students draw a picture of something painful and anonymously turn them in to be hung on the wall.
- Large class discussion about the various pains of life and how to fix them.
- 5 Google slides, 3-questions
- Students read or listen to Lois Lowry’s Newbery speech and think deeply about the meaning.
- 8-slide speech and 1 slide of response questions
- Audio tracks of speech read by Created for Learning
- Have some fun at the end while students recall what they’ve read!
- 26-slide Jeopardy Trivia
- compare and contrast the movie and novel
- 2-slide group comparison
Enjoy! And may your world always be in full color!
WHAT IS CREATED FOR DIGITAL?
★ Our Created for Digital resources take all the trusted, quality instructional tools you know and love and convert them into the digital format you need for your online learners.
Why go Digital?
··· Paperless. No printing.
··· Instant saving ... students work in the file.
··· Technology Proficiency
··· Easy integration w/ these Learning Management Systems (as of 9/24/2020): Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Canvas, Schoology, Edmodo, Blackboard, Moodle, Brightspace, Sakai, Showbie, Remind, & more
··· Works on Chromebooks, Android Tablets, and other devices
··· Engaged students
··· Easy group work
··· Paper trail of revisions for teacher to see
··· Teacher Tutorial - access link and how to use this with your learners
··· Microsoft OneDrive user instructions - a step-by-step visual tutorial. This will only take minutes!
··· All slides can be used over and over again.
OTHER THE GIVER COLOR
OUR VAST NOVEL UNIT LIBRARY
→ We've got 35+ more complete novel units for you, ready to save you precious time and sanity so you can have your life back to do what you do best ... teach!
Bored w/ Teaching GRAMMAR?
→ Introduce your learners to The Grammar Ninjas!